98 700 XTC Reverse upgrade

boutin73

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and I just bought my first sled. Its a 98 700 triple xtc. There is no reverse or electric start. I really want to look at installing reverse. My questions are can a reverse setup say from eBay be installed on this motor? What modifications would be needed? Does one reverse setup fit all 700's? What do I need to know to buy the right one? Sorry if there are other threads about this but I didn't seem to find anything with a search. I did find instruction on how to replace it but I am not sure if there are specific models that have to fit certain years.
Thanks for any feedback

You need the reverse cover and all the associated guts.

I've done this conversion twice with excellent results

Last edited:
You need the reverse cover and all the associated guts.

I've done this conversion twice with excellent results

Thanks Vincent. But do I need to buy any particular setup? The ones I see on eBay usually say something like 97-2002 500, 600, 700. So it seems like its the same system regardless of cc or year as long as it falls in that year range. Is that correct?

So ya don't have to remove the back part of the case? I just bought a reverse setup for my SX700R, supposed to be here tomorrow.

Thanks, I have mine installed, and it works great. Mine ended up being the exact gear ratio my sled had to begin with. I bought mine from facebook market place from a fellow in Wisconsin. Didn't take long but I had to do mine twice. I put the spacer in wrong the first time.

Back