Engine knock on 700 vmax

boutin73

I recently picked up a '98 700 vmax xtc and it has a rather loud knocking noise in the engine. Sounds like a bad lifter in a car motor. Is this normal? Its my first sled so I have no experience. I am not familiar with this type of engine but I didn't see any lifters in the service manual so I assume that's not what would cause the noise.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

does it run fine ?
all plugs look good ?
check for loose bolts on motor mounts on front of engine or broken mounts.

does it run fine ?
all plugs look good ?
check for loose bolts on motor mounts on front of engine or broken mounts.

Yeah it runs great(still need to run it a bit more since it had been stored a few years) plugs are clean and haven't found any loose bolts anywhere. I'll check the motor mounts. Really sounds like a lifter knock but I know there aren't any in this motor. I need to see if I can pinpoint the noise better. Really seems like it's coming from the head.

I would pull the head off and make sure theres nothing sitting on top of any of the pistons hitting the head. Before i ran it any more

I would pull the head off and make sure theres nothing sitting on top of any of the pistons hitting the head. Before i ran it any more

Yes I thought about this. I looked in through the plug holes but didn't see anything. I think I'll pop off the head.

Looks and sounds like an exhaust leak. I think it needs exhaust manifold gaskets. It definitely doesn't sound normal.

Last edited:

Back