Phazer 2 PZ480 question

Andrew780

I recently got this sled before the winter season here. We haven’t had much for snow this year but here and there we’ve had little dumps and I’d take the snowmobile out hunting. I noticed it ran pretty good but that it was a little bit sluggish. I was told to run some sea foam through it and to dump it in with the fuel. Ever since I’ve done that, the sled Boggs out and runs terribly right off the get go. If I turn the choke on, it ran a little better. I read online the the pilot jet screws should be 1.25-1.5 turns out from front seated but I noticed that the sled runs a lot better 2.5 turns out from front seated. There’s still a small amount of seafoam in the system as there’s lots of white smoke as it runs. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Should I still pull the carbs for cleaning or does seafoam usually do the trick?

Sounds like pilot jets are plugged. This is normally the case if flipping the choke seems to help.

Like others said clean the carbs, if you want your sled to run well clean carbs, I do mine every spring then the sit in the summer months empty with no fuel in them

I had the same problem. I called a local Yamaha expert ( he has his own small shop ) , first thing he said was to check the air mixture screws. If they were very sharp then replace them , mine also had some grooves in them , ordered new ones and it runs like new.

Might have been some old gas varnish in the carbs or fuel system that came loose. Exact same thing happened to a friend of mine. Pulled his carbs and found one pilot jet plugged and the other half way. One main jet had a piece of varnish slime hanging out if it. Lucky he did not blow it up. If it sat for a long time with old gas make sure you change the fuel filter as well as clean the carbs.

Back