Engine swap Sx500R

Stonebridge

Planning on putting a -98 700 redhead in a nice -00 Sxr500 chassi. I have all the things from the 700, carbs,cdi, wire harness etc. Is this doable? The 700 motor is from a -98 venture. Do I have to change tachs on the 500 to old style? Is it Hard to relocate the motor mounts?
IF this proves to difficult i have a plan B and that is to put the 700 in a 2001 venture 600. Is that Bolt on? IF not are the stator connections different? I've Read somewhere that the crankcases where you Mount the stators are different but unknown from which years. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for a great forum!

I put a 2002 redhead in my 1997 600 twin XTC.
Very simple if you have the parts.
You can also use the new style gauges, just need the correct hood wiring harness. I think a 1999 had the old style stator, and the new style gauges for example.
Gonna need the motor mounts as well. They actually get moved over to the taped off holes from where the twin mounts are.

Last edited:
Motor mounts are the big thing on the swap, rear suspension has to come out to get at the bolts.

Not just rear suspension but the driveshaft too. Ask me how I know. We installed a 600 triple in a 600 twin XTC chassis. And my brother didn’t think of this tid bit. Installing engine mounts with a track and driveshaft in the way is damn near impossible.

Yep, but it makes it a great time to install new bearings in the chain case and speedo drive, which are the two that go bad the quickest. :D

I've also planned to change to a Cobra track and both bearings on the driveshaft this summer at the same time so thanks for the heads up.

Back