Replacing the connector in the drive shaft.

Charlie P

Any body ever replace the connector in the drive shaft? The part number is 8K4-47577-00-00, but I don't see how that would be held into the drive shaft. The guy must have got happy with the drill on the SXR I just bought. He told me he couldn't get the old part out but failed to tell me they have tried to drill it out. The hole is now bigger than the speedo drive. Sure don't want to replace the axle because of this. May go ahead and remove the shaft, because I'm adding reverse and will have the chain case apart anyways.

Thanks Charlie.

Well I ordered the part, guess I'll figure how it installs when the part gets here. Going to pull the axle out tomorrow, got to tear the chain case down anyways. Can't go anywhere anyways.

Last edited:

It’s just a rectangular spring that sits in the shaft, speedo housing holds it in place.
The piece that it sits in is replaceable also if you can’t get it out.
May as well order the bearing for speedo side and lower chaincase while your at it.

They just had that bearing replaced, and tried to fix the speedo. Think they got carried away with the drill, but they didn't drill all the way through. The part is cheap but even the repair manual I bought don't mention how to replace the connector.

I finally got the connector out. I tried to tap the hole without drilling but the screw wasn't up to the task, and broke. Didn't have an angle drill so had to go buy one. I drilled and tapped for 1/4 x 20 and used a few large washers, double nutted so the threads wouldn't get screwed up, and was able to pull it out. Used some red locktite and drove the new connector home. Repacking and replacing all the bearings in the skid, then to install a reverse kit.

So, the piece you got out was a square spring. Did you drill the hole so now the hole is round instead of square?

I finally got the connector out. I tried to tap the hole without drilling but the screw wasn't up to the task, and broke. Didn't have an angle drill so had to go buy one. I drilled and tapped for 1/4 x 20 and used a few large washers, double nutted so the threads wouldn't get screwed up, and was able to pull it out. Used some red locktite and drove the new connector home. Repacking and replacing all the bearings in the skid, then to install a reverse kit.
I'm having the same issue and looking for a bit more detail on this procedure you used. So you tapped for 1/4-20, then inserted a screw? How did you pull the screw out? Did you have a little gear puller on the screw head?
Sorry I just can't quite follow your process.

I'm having the same issue and looking for a bit more detail on this procedure you used. So you tapped for 1/4-20, then inserted a screw? How did you pull the screw out? Did you have a little gear puller on the screw head?
Sorry I just can't quite follow your process.
Last year I replaced the speedo side bearing, and found that my speedometer key was sheared and rust-welded in. I drilled it out and tapped 1/4-20 as others have suggested and then screwed in the 1/4-20 bolt with washers as spacers. Order a new connecter and press it in, good to go.

Pictures:

Last year I replaced the speedo side bearing, and found that my speedometer key was sheared and rust-welded in. I drilled it out and tapped 1/4-20 as others have suggested and then screwed in the 1/4-20 bolt with washers as spacers. Order a new connecter and press it in, good to go.

Pictures:
Now I see how it's done. Thank you for the photos, very helpful. I'll give it a go.

Back