Keeping Bender Pipes in Place

sferrall

2002 SXViper

I've got Bender pipes on my sled. Bought it that way. These pipes seem to be a little loose though all springs are in place. They rattle around, hitting on each other and one hitting/resting on one of the head bolts. I've worn a few holes into these over the years. I've had them fixed and have been able to keep one pipe in it's place with some ingenuity. Is there anything out there that will work to keep these things in place better like some type of banding I can put around the pipe. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

You could us some pipe wrap and then use some long springs and wrap them all together. might have to make some steel flat pads to fasten them down too with additional springs.

I have similar issue with my 700 SX.
The inside pipe was always rubbing on one of the head bolts. Wore a hole through a couple times.
Kept re-welding it. Last time I re-welded it, I also took a rubber mallet, and dented it in a bit in the area
that met the head bolt to gain some extra clearance there.

Could you explain more or show me a pic or give a link to what you're suggesting Mr. Sled? I'm kinda ignorant to exactly what you mean. I just need to see something so I can get my brain started. I just don't know what's out there for "wrap" or banding material.
Murder, yes, I've done the denting in as well. Helps.

Could you explain more or show me a pic or give a link to what you're suggesting Mr. Sled? I'm kinda ignorant to exactly what you mean. I just need to see something so I can get my brain started. I just don't know what's out there for "wrap" or banding material.
Murder, yes, I've done the denting in as well. Helps.

Wish I had a sled to show you.. sorry I dont. Just have to keep them tight from moving around.

i think what mrsled means is something like hvac duct strapping with a spring to hold tension around the pipes.

Have the donuts ever been replaced ? They wear out when the pipes are loose,than the springs come loose and the little hooks that they attatch to bend in from those Yamaha springs. You could use s/s hose clamps like they use on utility poles. Or hvac straps as mentioned.Stock pipes have a big spring to wrap them in the middle. I found doo springs work better and a lot cheaper.

On the sealing rings that Maim is referring too ..... I usually smear a thin film of RTV on the inside of the cleaned receiver pipe just before I pinch the ring and slide it on.
Those sealing rings have been know to break off.

Last edited:

Back