Thread: Water Pump impeller

Default Water Pump impeller

I have a 2002 viper. I am trying to remove the impeller on the water pump. I have already removed the bolt, is there a trick on removing the impeller.

Thank's in advance
    Rich

Lifetime VIP Member

H E A T and lots of it! It's an ugly job, good luck!!!

Thank you for that information. Does anyone else have a trick to remove the impeller from a 2002 Viper. Looking at different options here.

Lifetime VIP Member

In true Yamaha fashion, they use a VERY strong compound on the splines of the shaft that mate with the impeller. Heat (lots of it) and pulling up from backside of impeller will allow removal. If there is a different method to complete this job, I'm all ears!!!

Quote Originally Posted by northern srx View Post
    In true Yamaha fashion, they use a VERY strong compound on the splines of the shaft that mate with the impeller. Heat (lots of it) and pulling up from backside of impeller will allow removal. If there is a different method to complete this job, I'm all ears!!!
    I understand the heat procedure but how can you pull up from the back side of the impeller if the impeller is almost flush with the case itself.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    I understand the heat procedure but how can you pull up from the back side of the impeller if the impeller is almost flush with the case itself.
    The way I got the impeller off was pretty easy. I used a heat gun & 2 very small screwdrivers & pryed up on the impeller at different locations.