Crank Help please!?!?

Gabutch

I've got an 02 Viper ER and have been working on since I got it this spring. I rebuild the motor but only did the top end. Put new cylinders, pistons and rings, super cool gasket from Hauck Powersports, and correct length p/v cables since they were different. Motor is in pristine condition.......on the outside.

After chasing down all the rubbed through wires and ultimately changing the harness, cdi and coils, I still had a backfire and pre ignition like it was out of time which I though was weird u till I did some research. So after following somebody's directions, I marked all tdc's on the clutch and measured them. To much of my disappointment, they did not match as i suspected them to.

The help I need here is: 1) what is everyone else's distance between tdc's and, 2) where is everybody getting them straightened or rebuild and welded in the correct place? 3) Is there a person here willing to sell me a perfectly used or a "new" one they would sell me? This would save me a lot of time and money. I live in Bethel, Alaska and anywhere closest to me would be helpful.

I am open to any suggestions. Please and thank you!!

I copied and pasted this from one of MR Viper posts from years ago.
Ive never measured the phase on mine but each piston must measure exactly 120 degrees apart for a total 360. Make sure you measure correct. Other problems can create backfiring.

simple to check if your crank is out of phase, simply remove all 3 spark plugs, then using a long handled screwdriver that will fit thru spark plug hole. Take off clutch cover. Now starting with first cylinder put screwdriver in spark plug hole and rotate engine via clutch till the piston is at top dead center, the screwdriver will be at its highest point. Now go down to the clutch and take a permanent marker and make a mark on the clutch at around 12 o clock. Then move to the center, same thing, then move to the mag cylinder same thing.
Now get a cloth measuring tape and you should have 3 marks all equally spaced on the primary clutch if the crank is correct, if not then its out of phase and will need to be retrued and welded. The factory welds the rod pins on the viper cranks but the center lower pins are not welded.

That's exactly how I did mine. Only thing I did differently was use something smaller and went from Mag, Center then PTO since that's the firing order. It definitely is out of phase. I am looking for a place to get it back to stock specs and welded. Not too many places here in Alaska can do that. That is also why I was asking if anybody had an extra one laying around.

I would watch ebay. These sleds are now almost twenty years old. they are being parted out continuously. I used to see short blocks a lot that you could just hang your top end on. Check out the classified here on TY and put a wanted short block post.

Happy Forth of July
---mac---

theres a guy in i think iowa who can straighten and rephase the crank welding the pins, he does good work. i got a couple cranks from him. I think his nname was lyle.

Any contact info on this guy? PM me to let me know please. I have the crank out and ready to ship. Thanks guys!

Back