1996 Vmax Mountain Max ST Track Question

dolanmcduk

Hello new to the site, good to be here.

I have a 96 Mountain Max ST with the 136" track. I have read about limitations for lug height as there can be clearance issues.

Interested in what kind of tracks others have installed without needing to make major modifications?

Would something like a Camso 9969H Ripsaw II 15" x 136" with 1.25" lugs work?

Also, is there any way to adjust the rear suspension to get some more height? These things sit really low to the ground :)

Thanks for any help you can provide.
600 ST.jpg

Last edited:

the ripsaw II is a good choice as it is decent off trail and on trail.

as to the height, is it already mounted in the lower holes? most of the sleds from that era had a set of holes to lower the suspension out of the tunnel, at least the ones i have seen.

you could throw a set of sr viper or sidewinder mountain skis to help the front float and turn better.

the ripsaw II is a good choice as it is decent off trail and on trail.

as to the height, is it already mounted in the lower holes? most of the sleds from that era had a set of holes to lower the suspension out of the tunnel, at least the ones i have seen.

you could throw a set of sr viper or sidewinder mountain skis to help the front float and turn better.

Hi thanks for the info! I will have to check on that when I get out to our farm where the sled is stored.

I also see the other common mod for clearance, is to go to 8 tooth drive sprockets from the 9 that is stock. If I can't make an easy adjustment as you mention, I may have to look at that.

Thanks for the ideas for skis. I actually have new inbox set of Camso plastic skis, just waiting for the mounting kit to show up.

Any other ideas or tips feel free to share.
Thanks!

Last edited:
With 9 tooth drivers ..... 1" track.
With 8 tooth drivers ..... 1.25 w/o track trimming. A 1.5 will fit but needs to be trimmed down where the track and tunnel heat exchangers meet.
Post #26 for track work.
https://totallyamaha.net/showthread.php/97649-96-XT6-to-144
For a 136 ....... a 1.6 Cobra would work(w/ 8 toothers). The difference between a 1.5 ?????? track and the 1.6 Cobra is obviously .1
That .1 is those little rubber "screw looking" nipples that protrude just slightly past the standard part of the lug. Those are more than likely gone after 1/2 a dozen road crossings. Making it a 1.5

Last edited:
With 9 tooth drivers ..... 1" track.
With 8 tooth drivers ..... 1.25 w/o track trimming. A 1.5 will fit but needs to be trimmed down where the track and tunnel heat exchangers meet.
Post #26 for track work.
https://totallyamaha.net/showthread.php/97649-96-XT6-to-144
For a 136 ....... a 1.6 Cobra would work(w/ 8 toothers). The difference between a 1.5 ?????? track and the 1.6 Cobra is obviously .1
That .1 is those little rubber "screw looking" nipples that protrude just slightly past the standard part of the lug. Those are more than likely gone after 1/2 a dozen road crossings. Making it a 1.5

Hello and thank you that is helpful.

I have the 136 track, so it looks like going to 8 tooth is a good option.
Thanks,
David

Back