Thread: Engine rebuild time

Default Engine rebuild time

I'm planning on freshening up my engine on my 03 sx viper this summer, it currently has 26k km on it and starting to feel a bit tired. Curious if there is anything else I should do besides piston, rings and wrist pin bearings. I also will do crank seals and opti cool head gasket while its apart but is there anything else I should replace while its apart? I Would also like to get your opinions on brand of pistons to choose, I am leaning towards oem yamaha parts as they lasted this long already and want to keep my machine as reliable as possible. My local dealer wants 920 canadian for the 3 pistons, is that my best option and if so is there a cheaper place to buy oem parts other than my local dealer? Thanks for your advice, Dave

used spi pistons with good sucess on my brothers 02 viper but his was one of the ones that did in the connecting rod bearing and his was ritch at the time too.
    sleds
    540cc workhorse (vk 540)
    410cc reliable power (enticerII) rx tunnel braces
    500cc mutant margarita mixer (09 phazer rtx/x)
    1000cc of dependability (11 apex xtx)
    1000cc of yamaha excellence ( 16 apex xtx)

motorcycle's
    00 xt350 mod
    08 wr250x

atv
    2005 big bear pro

If you are doing all that I would do the water pump seals while you are in there.
    Bought a Yami Viper and Never looked Back except at the doo guys

02 viper 136" RipSaw HC40-10's Advantage 48/40 secondary, CB Perfomance front end kit, Stock motor with 2001 srx engine as spare
    05 SXVenture 700 Family loner sled HC40-10's 04 rx1 helix (fast for a couch, hangs with the viper)
    1992 Phazer II with electric start 121" ripsaw81 SS440 inprogress extending to 136" .75 lug
    ?? 340 Hirth free air mod sled with scorpion body

Quote Originally Posted by David Mcfadzen View Post
    I'm planning on freshening up my engine on my 03 sx viper this summer, it currently has 26k km on it and starting to feel a bit tired. Curious if there is anything else I should do besides piston, rings and wrist pin bearings. I also will do crank seals and opti cool head gasket while its apart but is there anything else I should replace while its apart? I Would also like to get your opinions on brand of pistons to choose, I am leaning towards oem yamaha parts as they lasted this long already and want to keep my machine as reliable as possible. My local dealer wants 920 canadian for the 3 pistons, is that my best option and if so is there a cheaper place to buy oem parts other than my local dealer? Thanks for your advice, Dave
    Are those 26k on the initial stock pistons and rings, or have they been replaced at some point before?

I've heard that you should do pistons and rings at around 10k (6k miles) but that might be unnecessary early then maybe?
    /Thomas

2001 SRX 700

Quote Originally Posted by kirkswim View Post
    If you are doing all that I would do the water pump seals while you are in there.
    this is my brother. he did not have 8000km on his when the bearing let go and mangled the piston. the others where probably good but we replaced all 3 at the time to make sure it was balanced correctly. water pump seals would not be a bad idea and a check of all the lines while engine is out as some might need replacing as thjey are getting hard with age.
    sleds
    540cc workhorse (vk 540)
    410cc reliable power (enticerII) rx tunnel braces
    500cc mutant margarita mixer (09 phazer rtx/x)
    1000cc of dependability (11 apex xtx)
    1000cc of yamaha excellence ( 16 apex xtx)

motorcycle's
    00 xt350 mod
    08 wr250x

atv
    2005 big bear pro

LOVE my Moutain Max !!

I believe that it has original pistons in it.

I believe that it has original pistons in it. Thanks for your info and advice however I will be going stock even though the parts are much more costly than "ebay" its much better insurance and confidence knowing its oem parts for travels around my province. Cheers

Good call.
    -------------------------
    1997 Yamaha XTC
    700 Redhead, Mr. Viper ported, CPR pipes, SRX reeds, Heelclickers, Dual bulb, LT Ohlins

1997 700 SX
    Thinned head gasket, Gutted Airbox, Reed Spacers, Bender Pipes, Viper Shocks, 51/43 helix 89L weights

2004 Viper S
    SLP pipes, peak performance head,

2001 SRX 700
    Power Inc. Pipes, Loaded 8DN20's, Hauck Y 51/45

1997 Mountain Max 700
    Black XTC Hood, Thinned Head Gasket, Gutted Air Box, Reed Stopper Notch, SLP Pipes

David, I'd go with that way for 2 pistons and buy the 3rd at high price from your local stealer

https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/YAMAHA-...0AAOSwEUReUBxF
    LOVE my Moutain Max !!