Installing new pistons and rings in Viper with 8k miles. Lower?

Yamidude

Hello all! Since the last time I posted a question we’ve had a pandemic, and the country delved into chaos. I sincerely hope this finds you all safe and healthy.

It’s getting that time again....winters coming!!! I’m getting ready to rip the old 2004 viper apart and replace the pistons, rings, etc. Should I have the crank rebuilt?

This sled basically has 7,800 miles of flat Canadian trail riding on it, all the while being maintained VERY well by the older gentleman I bought it from. It runs like a top, so I just want to take some preventative measure and get it done now before it goes nuclear. Can you guys recommend what I should tackle while it’s apart?

I appreciate any input you guys (and girls...don’t want to leave anyone out!) may have. Thanks!

Last edited:

Hello all! Since the last time I posted a question we’ve had a pandemic, and the country delved into chaos. I sincerely hope this finds you all safe and healthy.

It’s getting that time again....winters coming!!! I’m getting ready to rip the old 2004 viper apart and replace the pistons, rings, etc. Should I have the crank rebuilt?

This sled basically has 7,800 miles of flat Canadian trail riding on it, all the while being maintained VERY well by the older gentleman I bought it from. It runs like a top, so I just want to take some preventative measure and get it done now before it goes nuclear. Can you guys recommend what I should tackle while it’s apart?

I appreciate any input you guys (and girls...don’t want to leave anyone out!) may have. Thanks!
If your unsure then I'd send it to a local crank shop and have it inspected. Gotta ensure it's good but your likely fine?

I had over 9000 on my 04 viper. Pistons, jugs ect all spec’d out perfect. Just put new rings and good to go. Still runs like a top with close to 13000 mi now.

yep, keep a good set of rings in it and it will run for another long batch of miles. the rings are one of the most important things in a 2 stroke. lightly run a hone thru cylinders and throw new set of yamaha rings and new circlips in....then enjoy the yamaha triple power.

Back