99 Venture 700

NorthofSixty

Thought I try riding some groomed trails this winter for a change. Picked up a 99 Venture in good condition. Any advice on what to watch out for on long rides with this sled?

99 Venture 700 triple.jpgIMG_0180_copy_1024x768.jpgIMG_0181_copy_1024x1365.jpg

I have the same sled, but a 600, and the european version had a shorter seat. Get some real shocks and check the w arm. Other than that, that clutching leaves something to be desired.

I agree that factory suspension isn't the best. Good for smooth groomed trails but lack depth for rough / fast trails.

And I agree the engine has high RPM for its ground speed ratio. Especially on smooth groomed trails where high engine RPM isn't needed.

I've got same sled in 600 triple version. Two DIY mods I recommended are:

- Replace factory H4 halogen headlight bulb with P43t LED Motorcycle bulb. And for steady 12 volt DC power, connect handlebar high/low beam switch with 5 amp inline fuse, and connect to little brown wire (located in right foot well area) - which is used for Reverse buzzer. For bulb, search Amazon for "DZG H4 Motorcycle LED Headlight Bulb 9003 HB2 HS1 P43t 6500K CREE Chips High Low Beam Conversion"

- If theft is high risk in your region, simply install a manual up/down toggle switch on fixed dash area (located beside warmer dial switch) and splice into the kill switch wires. If switch is down, then engine runs. If switch is up, then engine is NO run. Good / simple anti-theft upgrade that fools many - who easily pop its wire connector off the back of its factory ignition key switch.

And yes, my 1999 600 triple has these mods and they work great.

Last edited:
The high rpm is due to gearing/clutching, not too difficult to fix.

Agree.

What do you recommend to fix? re: Keep factory clutch and simply change weights or some other fix?

For my 600, it feels like having a 6 speed auto transmission and revving high - like forcing it to drive in 5th gear. Hoping a simple (low cost) fix could make it better for groomed / smoothed trails. Especially for a "majority of time" single rider (without a passenger).

Thanks. Never owned anything this new before so it will take a while to figure things out. Seems like the suspensions are the biggest concern. By chance I found a spare proaction skid at the dump last year and grabbed it. It has nitrogen gas shocks. Wondering if these are better or the same as the stock ones on the Venture. Might be hard to tell from the pic. W arm on the spare skid is like new if I need one. 384D1B6B-F311-485F-8AC8-6D33B96D85FC.jpeg141AFDB3-502C-4337-A59A-2D62205D4D41.jpeg96DD0999-C74C-43E5-975C-658D82A50CB2.jpeg. That’s fresh snow today. Looks like an early start to winter.

Last edited:
You could begin with the gearing, the gearing on mine is 18/38, which is waay too low. Gear it to like 20/38 or 21/38 at least, that should get the rpms down some. I have't geared yet, I've put on a 50/38 helix and a blue-white-blue primary spring to keep the revs in check.

The gas shocks are way better than what came with the sled, they made my venture 500 real fun to ride.

The 700 Venture should be geared at 23/39 stock so may not be as big of an issue as with the 600’s. But sounds like I’ll need the regear my SXR600.

I don't know where you fellars get the gearing from but my shop manual says VT 700 21/39 gears. I too have a 600 but I reworked the skid with different YAMAHA shocks which on these are gas charged. You have to open up the skid as I did and play around with the step up cams but it all depends on your weight, gear and if your doubling up! Mine can plane out on t deep snow like nothing then I can cut back on the throttle, don't need to run it wide open 8,700 rpms. The track also makes a world of difference, mine is a RIPSAW 1.5" and it pulls this sled along great, the factory track is for the parking lot at walmart!

My 99 600 is an european version, that's why it is geared too low. If you are getting 8700, you are revving too high.

Last edited:

Back