Swapping brake disc, bad idea?

norwegian

I have a brake disc and and caliper for it from a 2001 ML 500 (fan). This is pretty light, weighs in at 1,5 kg (3,3 pounds). I'm sure the one in the 1997 sx twin is much heavier, because its "double ventilated"? and is much wider. I could potentially save alot of rotating mass if I swap this over. Is this a bad idea? Will it go hot because it is just a single disk and not "double ventilated"?

I just weighed a vented one off an SRX and it weighs exactly 4 lbs so the savings isn't as much as you might think. They only used that rotor on the fan cooled trailing arm sleds that were lighter than the liquids. You may have fading issues on a heavier sled if you ride it hard.

If you do use it you will need to use the pads from the ML too. They are thicker to make up for the rotor thickness difference.

I am going to use one on a 92 Vmax-4 we're setting up for 1/4 mile asphalt with an aluminum center hub and my HYD brake setup. 2.6 lbs with the aluminum hub. I like the vented rotors on the trail sleds.

opsled

Attachments

• IMG_3860.jpg
    IMG_3860.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 3

Back