SRX crank and case with Viper top end

Gabutch

I know there have been a few here that have put SRX top ends on the Viper bottom end. How many of you used the Viper to end on the SRX lower? I want to do this since the SRX crank is all I could find without sending my crank to get rebuilt.
My question is what all has to be done in order for this to work properly? Flywheel and stator........electrical? I know the cases are basically the same but i noticed while looking at part numbers that are similar but the first 3 are slightly different. I also know about the weight and flywheel being smaller. If its smaller, would that mean the pick up coil extends further? I just dont have all the necessary parts to do all the testing myself. Any input on this would be helpful from any of you geniuses. Thanks

To be clear, you have a "Viper" sled? The end of the cranks should be identical, cases as well so you should be able to just swap your parts over. '98-'99 SRX's have different flywheels and stators than '00-'02 SRX models so you should be aware of that.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a Viper. When I purchased this sled, it was in very bad shape. Like, really very bad shape. Rust everywhere, cut and twisted wires, no key, and valves were stuck open.....etc. There was no sign of the viper engine anywhere. The only thing that was standard for the viper was just the servo which was seized. SRX motor, (top and bottom). The air box wasnt even correct. I did my homework and also after reading a few posts here that these cases are identical. I found a true crank for the SRX and this is why I'm asking if anyone has done this. I would really like some input on this. Anything info will help. Thanks

Early SRX motors ('98-'99) have 180(?) watt stators (single headlight model) where the 2000-2002 models had a 300 watt stator (dual headlight model). Easily identified what you have once flywheel has been removed. You need the 300 watt stator to work on the Viper electronics. As far as the SRX cranks are concerned, I "believe" the only difference between early and late model SRX crankshafts is that the 2 bearings at the ends of the crankshaft are 2 piece on the early models and 1 piece on late models. I would try to verify what year SRX the crank came from (also,look at a parts diagram). Side note: with the mix and match of parts, look at what power valves you have and you do realize the exhaust systems between the 2 models is completely different so a Viper exhaust system will not bolt up to SRX cylinders without some fabrication! Unless your using the SRX exhaust system which will require body modifications to the Viper chassis. Pics (if possible) would help identify what you have.

Well, just as I suspected. Success. I used a case and crank from a 2001 SRX. I did have to use the same flywheel for the SRX as well. The gap between the coil and flywheel much greater then anticipated. Damn near a quarter inch. Once I received the part I then realized I didnt rebuild my water pump like I should have and order parts to get that done. I only recently installed the engine and pipes with the rest of it and pulled until she fired and ran perfect.

I want to load photos but this website is giving me problems. I will as soon as I figure this out.

Back