New to the forum

Maniacmechanicd

Hey all hope someone can help. Have an 84-85 SRV 540 that I picked up last year that was running great for a bit. After my son and I rabbit around the property a bit it started to bog on acceleration. Back off and it’s fine. Shut off starts right up. Changed plugs, known good fuel, looking for suggestions. It’s an old sled that isn’t in bad shape and would like to keep around for me and my boy to play on. I have a heavy truck background and automotive but 2 strokes I never really played with. Any comments, suggestions are welcome. Just odd it ran great for a couple weeks then became an assache last year end of season. I’m pretty savvy so no need to dumb down technical terminology. Thanks in advance.

welcome to the site!

x2 on clutching. might have broken a primary spring as they start acting weird when they break. a good cleaning to remove belt dust and make sure everything slides and rotates freely. btw, never lube a clutch as it causes them to bind more as it makes the belt dust stick more.

If the clutches check out ok I would run through the fuel system from the in-tank filter to the carbs. I typically end up replacing the filter, fuel lines and cleaning the carbs. If it has the stock Kehin butterfly carb there is only a fuel screw for idle and two jets, main and slow. All of the fuel circuits overlap so even a slight blockage in any one can show up as a bog. If the bog only starts happening once the engine is warmed up it can also be the crank seals. Not a big job to change but engine has to be pulled.

Back