2002 153" Viper gearing and clutching

2strokeguy

Hello Everyone,

I need some help with gearing and clutching on my Viper. It has a 153" track with 2" paddles, bender triple pipes, bender clutch kit, 8 tooth drivers, and the single layer head gasket mod. I think the gearing in the chaincase is stock as far as clutching the primary has stock weights with a yellow and orange spring, and the secondary has a white and blue spring with the bender billet helix. It feels like it is geared too tall, is shifting up too fast, and shifting down too slow. I do most of my riding at high elavation (8000ft+). Do you guys have any clutching and gearing recommendations for this setup?

Thanks!

What’s the gearing?? I’ve never played with a viper but have used plenty of modded up srx’s and mountain maxes in MT and WY. Rpm’s where they should be?

Not sure what the gearing is I am planning on pulling the chaincase cover and checking soon. I think the RPMs are pretty low compared to a 136" Mountain Max I rode once. It has been at least last season since I have ridden the sled so I dont have exact numbers as far as RPMs. Do you have a setup for a 153" Mountain Max? I would assume they are very similar so I can at least get close to the correct setup.

8600 rpm is what you aim for unless piped. with pipes, you aim for the top rpm for the pipes. some are 8600 rpm, others want 9100 rpm.

Back