Upper idler wheels and inner idler wheel removal

MichaelAngelo

Both the upper little idler wheels and the inner idler wheels on this skid (2000 venture) have this configuration. Giant aluminum piece then a c-clip then the wheel/bearing.

I'm sure other's have seen this configuration before and I can't for the life of me figure out how to take this apart to change the bearings.

Any help is appreciated!

With c clip

1VQelT3.png

without c clip

RlHJm4R.png

Yep - definitely not coming off. Tried reinstalling the bolt then putting the wheel between two blocks of wood and banging hard on the bolt to try and break the bearing off the shaft - but it's locked on there.

Short of buying a whole new shaft... anything else I can try? I guess I can take it to a shop and see if they have the right tool for the job

pull the snap ring off in the wheel and knock it off of the bearing. then smash on the bearing directly with a hammer. it will move or smash the outer race off. if it smashed the outer race off, you can then heat or cut off the inner with a torch or grinder. i have had to do this a few times. i then polish the shaft a bit with emory cloth or sand paper to make the fit not as tight.

Back