92 Exciter cuts out at high rpm.

Wafflez

Yesterday i picked up a 1992 exciter from my buddy for free. He tells me when he rode it last it would cut our above 4000 rpm, like its loosing spark.
He started taking it apart 9 years ago with the intent to fix it and there it sat. Talking to him we both agreed it might be the stator since the charging
system dose not work. Dose anyone hear have any thoughts before i rip into this thing.
I got it to fire last night so first up are the carbs and plugs. its got a new cdi and it looks like a new coil and plug boots.

Also I'v hearthat the primary's on these sleds are kind of trash. any thoughts on that as well would be appreciated.

Rebuilding it would be no problem but if its not a vary good clutch to begin with i dont know how much i would want to put into it.

Sounds like a TORS issue.

102 is not what you want on that.
Get a set of clutches off a 95 or 96 Vmax 500 or 600 to swap in. Best upgrade out there bar none. Pic is a Vmax 540 with the setup on it.

opsled

Attachments

• IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 5
Sounds like a TORS issue.

102 is not what you want on that.
Get a set of clutches off a 95 or 96 Vmax 500 or 600 to swap in. Best upgrade out there bar none. Pic is a Vmax 540 with the setup on it.

opsled

That's a sharp looking sled!!! I will definitely check in to that, thanks for the info. Did that bump your top end or just out of the hole?

Im new to yamaha sleds. Whats TORS? Is that like a carb cutoff system? Is that what the brass plunger lookin bolt going in to the side of the carb?

Last edited:
Throttle over ride system. A safety system. If it is activated or not set correctly it will do as you describe and cut out the ignition so the sled won't run away.

The wires from those switches on the carbs plug into the wiring harness. To bypass the system unplug the carbs from the harness and plug the harness wires into each other. if it runs fine that way you know it is the TORS system. If it still runs the same it is another issue.

The clutches I'm running are the the latest and best design from Yamaha. Overall performance is better than what your sled came with and tuning options are also much better.

opsled

Throttle over ride system. A safety system. If it is activated or not set correctly it will do as you describe and cut out the ignition so the sled won't run away.

The wires from those switches on the carbs plug into the wiring harness. To bypass the system unplug the carbs from the harness and plug the harness wires into each other. if it runs fine that way you know it is the TORS system. If it still runs the same it is another issue.

The clutches I'm running are the the latest and best design from Yamaha. Overall performance is better than what your sled came with and tuning options are also much better.

opsled

Right on. All have to chase some wires. I'm guessing there cut and bypassed already because there's no wires going to the carbs.
You wouldn't happen to know what the 2 vacuum lines coming out of the top of the carb, just off to the side on the carb housing are.
There to big to be breathers in my opinion..

Already got a line on a 96 vmax 600 clutch. :rockon:

Right on. All have to chase some wires. I'm guessing there cut and bypassed already because there's no wires going to the carbs.
You wouldn't happen to know what the 2 vacuum lines coming out of the top of the carb, just off to the side on the carb housing are.
There to big to be breathers in my opinion..

Already got a line on a 96 vmax 600 clutch. :rockon:

You want the secondary clutch too. The combination is where the real benefit is. I think those lines may be carb heater lines.

Go here and look up your sled. Parts blow ups can show you a lot.
https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/c/yamaha_snowmobile/parts

Back