I was SO CLOSE... Ruined hyfax screws

MichaelAngelo

Skid change was almost done. New sliders in and bam couldn't get the hyfax screws back in. Both stripped stuck halfway in and likely one is cross threaded.

2 minute job ruined the project AGAIN

Tap and dye? Tool and dye? No idea about any of that stuff

received_357492822012626.jpeg

Used hacksaw to convert to flat head screws then I hacksawed the troublesome one a but shorter so it goes into the good thread. Fingers crossed!

I've fought with those screws too many times and have never found an easy way to put them in.All I know id make sure you use a number 3 philips,or if you can get it a JIS,screwdriver to remove them.

i keep a few 1/4" x 1/2" counter sinking screws with nuts for when this happens. i drill the threads out in the rail and up into the web to take the 1/4" bolt. i then take the die grinder and carve the web out enough to slide the 1/4" nut in there and hold it with a flat screwdriver to tighten the countersunk screw with a dab of lock tight on it to hold it in. done quite a few that way over the years when the rail is still good other than that issue.

i keep a few 1/4" x 1/2" counter sinking screws with nuts for when this happens. i drill the threads out in the rail and up into the web to take the 1/4" bolt. i then take the die grinder and carve the web out enough to slide the 1/4" nut in there and hold it with a flat screwdriver to tighten the countersunk screw with a dab of lock tight on it to hold it in. done quite a few that way over the years when the rail is still good other than that issue.

Done that fix too and works if you booger up the threads for the original bolt.

Back