2003 SX Viper won't run below 2000rpm

There is a white relay beside the CDI box behind the plastic just above your left foot position.
If you remove the white relay all the sled electrics are bypassed and the stator only powers the ignition...you could give that a try.
Also you could swap the flywheel and stator from the 2004 Viper and see if that helps...but thats getting to be a lot of work.

Last edited:

Sorry guys, I will get back at it tomorrow night. I will try the white relay. Is there a spec for air gap? Whats the silver box and two black coil looking tubes on the RH side behind the plastic panel above the toe hold?

Tried the white relay, no difference. I did notice tho, when it is under 2000 and trying to stall while burping the throttle, if I cycle the key off then on real quick it will start up again. Then back to normal stalling under 2000.

Hats off to A couple of bucks. She's running like a top!. Pulled the recoils on both Vipers. Measured the air gaps between the pickup and flywheel on both. The good running one .030". The non idling one .050". The pickup is recessed so it cannot be adjusted so I cut a small square of shim stock and siliconed it behind the pickup. This put the gap at .025". It starts and runs like new. Thanks to all who chimed in!

Nice work Dan, who’d have thought a 85 year old can still remember that kind of stuff !
LoL :D j/k!

Hats off to A couple of bucks. She's running like a top!. Pulled the recoils on both Vipers. Measured the air gaps between the pickup and flywheel on both. The good running one .030". The non idling one .050". The pickup is recessed so it cannot be adjusted so I cut a small square of shim stock and siliconed it behind the pickup. This put the gap at .025". It starts and runs like new. Thanks to all who chimed in!
What did you use for shim stock? Mines been doing the same thing driving me insane. Thanks for the great info people.

I checked mine today as I’m having the same issue exactly. The gap was .038. When looking at sensor I don’t see how you might have shimmed it. Does yours look like this?

Attachments

• ABCAAE4A-275A-48A5-BF85-FF4C4B63A780.jpeg
    ABCAAE4A-275A-48A5-BF85-FF4C4B63A780.jpeg
    827.7 KB · Views: 6

Back