Need help with a shock adjustment nut

Yamitriple

I've got a front shock on an srx that I cant get the adjustment nut on. The lock nut goes on fine, the threads are kinda stripped on the shock at the very start, none of my other adjustment nuts goo on there but will all go on my other shocks. Not sure what I should do especially since this is a freshly rebuilt shock I dont want to junk it

You might want to look into finding a thread file to chase/clean up the threads, the nuts are pretty thin too so that never makes it easy to put them back on. Idk what thread pitch is on shock body, maybe the place that rebuilt the shock can help you, heck hopefully they were the ones to screw up the threads in the first place

One of them was tight taking off at the very end. Must have been this one, but when I sent the shocks I had the lock nut and adjuster not threaded on the shock when I got it back they were on it. I took them off to mount the hock spring and the last bit was tight and hard to take off but could do it with my hand, put on the spring and could not get the first nut back on. I was hoping someone could chim in on a good way to retread a shock

Thread files do a great job of cleaning up external threads. You can even clean up the nut with the same file, as it is big enough for the file to fit, has worked for me on a bunch of different types of bolts and nuts whether it be SEA or Metric. You might be able to get away with running the lock nut over the threads over and over, that has worked for me as well while in a pinch. Do you have other lock nuts you could use to lit 2 or 3 of them on since it seems only they will thread on.

I have no spares unfortunately and I cant find a place to buy anymore yet. I'm going to take it to my work tomm and see what I can do there. If I cant get it figured out I suppose I'll be in the market for a new shock

Back