Track alignment difficulty

MichaelAngelo

New skid in place and hopefully all set for the season - but struggling with track alignment. I've never done it before so I've been trying to follow the service manual and youtube videos for instruction, but I'm running into unexpected difficulty.

Even when my track tension is set on spec (with woody's tool) and I make small adjustments to try and move the track over from one side to the other - it just wants to stay on the one side. Fairly pronounced too, with the U-shaped track clips right against the hyfax. If I really tighten up the one side it will shift over - but then it shifts all the way over! And it will only shift over when the tension is way off!

I am running the track with the machine on when I make the adjustments.

Anything I could be overlooking? Any tips?

You need to go 1/4-1/2" turn tighter on one side and then reduce the opposite side the same amount. That is what I do and dont have issues unless one of the rear wheel bearing or upper suspension idler bearings are out.

On my 97 SX, had the same problem, mine was a shot bearing behind speedo drive, was so bad, bearing started to pull towards rear of sled, was a mess.

Yes, look below the secondary clutch. There is a round cover that the speedometer cable is attached to.
Unscrew cable and remove the 3 nuts. inspect bearing. It is one of the two bearings that the drive axle spins on.
Almost always the first to fail.

Back