Yamaha SS440 Comet Clutch

smc704

Hi there

I just an old 1981 yamaha ss440. It has the original clutch. I dont know how long it will last but I want to either rebuild it in the spring or replace with a Comet 102C. Does anyone recommend rebuilding the original Yamaha clutch or should I avoid it? I dont even know if I can buy parts for the original.

The comet 102c on the other hand - The clutch I need is part number 217501A which may have been super seeded by 208300A.
The recommended weights are F-2 (211333) and a silver spring (204818)

I cannot seem to find the f-2 weights. Have these been discontinued? Is there an equivalent I can use?

Thanks!

I cant find any parts for the old original clutch. I heard the old original clutches were prone to failure anyways. I can get a 102c no problem, just need to find the correct f-2 weights or an equyivalent. would a-1 weights work?

Then put a Comet on it. If they are selling the clutch they should have the tuning info.

And yes the originals were prone to failure because the sleds run forever without doing anything to them so nobody does maintenance. By the time they do there is nothing left to rebuild. No Comet will take the same abuse for the same length of time.

Never had any major issues with the original SS440 clutches. In fact my 77 SRX runs the same primary so it can handle way more than any SS440 can dish out.

Never had any major issues with the original SS440 clutches. In fact my 77 SRX runs the same primary so it can handle way more than any SS440 can dish out.

Yes, This is the case I hear from all who are competitive in Vintage Yamaha's right now.

As Opsled and Northofsisxty already said, go with a stock Yamaha clutch if you can as it's far better than the Comet. Ebay is a good source for stock clutch parts

I had the same sled and it had a Comet 108c on it when I bought. It ran good but I rebuilt an original YP clutch and put on it to see if there was any performance difference. By seat-of-the-pants feel, it ran the same..

I would get the Comet 102C if you can find the right arms or find other ones that are close enough to work..

Back