700 triple concerns

boutin73

This summer I restored a 700 triple and replaced a jug and piston and changed all rings. I ran it the other day and noticed a pretty significant cracking sort of noise when it is run above 2000 rpm. Basically sounds like a bolt rattling around in the motor. I tried to get a video but I cant get a good representation of it. I plan to pull the clutch this weekend and start it up to see if the noise is related to the clutch but I fear its not.

The second concern I have is that while I was looking it over I saw a lot of seepage coming from the exhaust gasket. Looks like burned oil so I assume it it running way too rich and I have an exhaust leak (new gasket too). It does sound a bit funny when riding at a steady speed. Almost like there's a cylinder bogging out intermittently. It starts very hard (10-15 pulls) but fires right up after that. The plugs always seem a bit wet. Idles fine but smokes a lot.

Thirdly when it is cold it doesn't want to move. I make sure the track isn't frozen but when you first try to move it will sit and smoke the belt right off it. Almost seems like once the belt moves around a few times its fine after that. According to the manual it looks like it is set correctly though I will check again. One thing to note is when I inspected it the other day it looked like the inside of the belt, the small cogs if you will, are glazed. I would not expect this portion of the belt to make any contact.

So here's my questions:
Is it normal to have unburned fuel in the exhaust?
Is it too rich? I did have a a mix going for the first few gallons but have since put fresh gas in the tank.
How would I lean it out if needed?
Is it normal to have a clanking noise above certain RPM?
Should the inner flats on the cogs of the belt be glazed? If not what would cause this? Too loose? Too tight?
Thanks all for your help. This has been a great forum!

What year and model?
i would agree, make sure you know if it’s the clutch making noise or the motor, and go from there.
Did the sled come from a different elevation than you are currently at?

The sled came right from here (Maine) so no difference in elevation. Sorry its a 1998 700 XTC.

How do you plugs looks? If they are black it's definitely too rich, if they look like mine while cruising they are fine.

Did you replace you spark plug caps? They are know issue when old. Mite be a bad coil to. Definitely sound Like you have a miss fire when accelerating ..do all three plugs look the same?

Attachments

• IMG_20201222_115802.jpg
    IMG_20201222_115802.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
How do you plugs looks? If they are black it's definitely too rich, if they look like mine while cruising they are fine.

Did you replace you spark plug caps? They are know issue when old. Mite be a bad coil to. Definitely sound Like you have a miss fire when accelerating ..do all three plugs look the same?

My plugs definitely do NOT look like yours. They are all black and often wet. I plan to change them but they are definitely not clean and dry like yours.

I can't remember the jet size (did it in the spring) but they were the factory size I'm pretty sure. Same as what was in there. I set the position by the manual. I may need to re tweak now that it's been run. It seems extra rich but it does run fine and will idle for days. Just seems off.

It has been my experience that raising the main needle E clip one notch from stock ( both tiny washers in place) helps clean up the midrange response on these triples

Last edited:
Be sure to change the main nozzles with new ones if you can get them. They are the long brass tubes almost 2 inches long.

It has been my experience that dropping the main needle E clip one notch from stock ( both tiny washers in place) helps clean up the midrange response on these triples
Ok here's where I'm at. I have a 145 main and 45 pilot. Clip is in 3rd slot( recommended by manual). I definitely need to lean it out. Manual says raise the clip to lower the needle. Sounds like you suggested moving the clip down but would richen it. Can you advise? Thanks!

I think you’ll be fine.
We are at about 1700 elevation, and run 142.5’s in all 3.
Also have thinned head gaskets, no problems so far with 91 octane.

Yeah that's what I ended up doing. Hopefully it doesn't get too lean.
How many miles are on this sled and what year is it?
If it's like most, raising the clip won't mean didly-squat because your main nozzles will be worn will the metering needle slides through them at the top.

Back