700 triple concerns

How many miles are on this sled and what year is it?
If it's like most, raising the clip won't mean didly-squat because your main nozzles will be worn will the metering needle slides through them at the top.

I put all new gaskets, needles and jets in it (including the tubes you mentioned). Its a '98 and has about 6k miles.

I remember a thread awhile ago about a similar noise that a member was having. I believe that sound was escaping from a shot exhaust manifold gasket.
Does anyone else remember something along those lines.

I remember a thread awhile ago about a similar noise that a member was having. I believe that sound was escaping from a shot exhaust manifold gasket.
Does anyone else remember something along those lines.

I did discover a leak in the gasket even though it was brand new. I think it was because of some corrosion on the manifold so I just put some additional sealer to see if that helps. I think however that the clunking was coming from the clutch. After I pulled the clutch off I started it up and didn't hear the noise anymore. I disassembled the entire clutch and refurbished it. Fingers crossed that was it!

I did discover a leak in the gasket even though it was brand new. I think it was because of some corrosion on the manifold so I just put some additional sealer to see if that helps. I think however that the clunking was coming from the clutch. After I pulled the clutch off I started it up and didn't hear the noise anymore. I disassembled the entire clutch and refurbished it. Fingers crossed that was it!

So it is just a strange noise problem you have now? Everything else is fine?

So it is just a strange noise problem you have now? Everything else is fine?

I won't know for certain until I get it all back together. I have also been dealing with it running very rich so I had to take out the carbs and move the needle clip. Im waiting for a clutch alignment tool to show up before I reinstall the carbs since the motor mounts are under the carbs. I should have it tomorrow.

I put her all back together and fired it up. Everything seemed ok but the cracking noise is back so I'm pretty certain it's the clutch. I disassembled the entire clutch and cleaned everything up. Everything looks great but still making that loud noise. Everything moved freely and nothing was worn out of tolerance. Anybody had this before? I'm going to pop it off again this weekend to make double sure.
I won't know if the needle resetting is effective until I get some snow!

Got snow today so I ran it. Clutch is still very noisy. I checked the plugs after a few miles. Center plug was nice and clean, two outside carbs were black. Not nearly as bad as before but still black.

surprised it needed a rebuild! I have 2- 98 xtc's one of them has almost 12k miles on it. just got down to 100 psi accross all 3. I dont recall mine making much noise. I know my air box isnt bolted down correctly so that makes some racket

Back