Trail porting SRX or SXViper?

Cascadian

A decade ago I had the privilege of owning a Mountain Max 700 which I had ported and was extremely pleased with the results. I recently renewed my love for 2 stroke Yamaha triples and have amassed a collection of 1 2000 Mountain Max 700, 1 2003 SXViper 700, and 1 2000 SRX. Unfortunately, I already have to rebuild the top end on the SRX due to a short test ride with old gas melting a piston. I have read that the SRX and especially the Viper have more aggressive porting from the factory than the red heads, so I am wondering if a trail porting job adds much performance to them? Anyone with personal experience?

Also, if it is worthwhile, who would you recommend for a porting job? I know MRViper used to do good work.. but not sure he still does it.

Attachments

• sleds.jpg
    sleds.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 14

I have a 2003 Viper that I had trail ported shortly after I bought it. I can not give you a seat of the pants comparison since I barely rode it before the work was done. I can just say I am very happy with the end result. I have never had mine on a dyno but my understanding is that there can be a 10 to 15 HP gain if done properly. This is generally considered to be a much more livable mod than pipes and much less of a mpg concern. Although less HP gain. I would attempt to have MR. Viper do the work if he can find the time. He did not do mine, ( a smaller shop did mine several years ago that had one of the owners pass away and close did it). I think he still does the work. You may have to wait a while. Need to ask him.

Last edited:
I have a 2003 Viper that I had trail ported shortly after I bought it. I can not give you a seat of the pants comparison since I barely rode it before the work was done. I can just say I am very happy with the end result. I have never had mine on a dyno but my understanding is that there can be a 10 to 15 HP gain if done properly. This is generally considered to be a much more livable mod than pipes and much less of a mpg concern. Although less HP gain. I would attempt to have MR. Viper do the work if he can find the time. He did not do mine, ( a smaller shop did mine several years ago that had one of the owners pass away and close did it). I think he still does the work. You may have to wait a while. Need to ask him.
I had MR Viper do a 01 SRX for me years ago,excellent runner with no problems.I sold sled with 10000 miles on it ,still ran great.The only thing I would be worried about is fuel.Its hard to find anything over 91 octane and dont think that is enough to be reliable.

Always heard good things about MR Viper and would love to chat with him about it. Anyone have contact info for him or know if he still lurks around here?

Back