97 700 sx No spark at initial season start up.

JDD33

Hello,
New forum member and trying to navigate this new to me site!. I have a couple of 700 red heads hat I have owned for many years. Today was a good day to fire them up from summer storage. Every year the carbs are run out of stabilized fuel, and cylinders fogged and rolled. Kill switches left in the run position as well as keys in the run position. First sled a 98 700 XTC powder special fired up without any issue. The 97 700 sx went thru the same procedure but un fortunately has NO Spark on any cylinder. I removed the cdi box and ran it on the 98 so no issue there.
I’m a bit stumped... Checked connections but not sure where to check next. Was led to believe there was a post on this forum how to test the electrical system from the stator on...
Anyone have some ideas or a link to that procedure?

Thanks, John.

Hello,
New forum member and trying to navigate this new to me site!. I have a couple of 700 red heads hat I have owned for many years. Today was a good day to fire them up from summer storage. Every year the carbs are run out of stabilized fuel, and cylinders fogged and rolled. Kill switches left in the run position as well as keys in the run position. First sled a 98 700 XTC powder special fired up without any issue. The 97 700 sx went thru the same procedure but un fortunately has NO Spark on any cylinder. I removed the cdi box and ran it on the 98 so no issue there.
I’m a bit stumped... Checked connections but not sure where to check next. Was led to believe there was a post on this forum how to test the electrical system from the stator on...
Anyone have some ideas or a link to that procedure?

Thanks, John.

Did you check the harness under the engine for rub thru?

No, but I can check that tomorrow.
Just seems odd as the sled ran when it was summerized.. has been in an enclosed trailer and hadn’t moved until yesterday...

If they are stored in a higher humidity area, you may have gotten corrosion on the flywheel.
On the mag side, slowly turn the motor and peek down at the flywheel, should be a sight hole.
Look for corrosion.

Thanks. I did remove the muffler and the recoil. I wire brushed what I believe to be the 3 magnets. Still no spark.

Look for signs of mice.... also, did you re-connect the coil wires correctly? if you had them apart to service carbs

Thanks, there is no sign of mice invasion. Coils are in there correct position and haven’t been touched since summerizing.
Updated I found the #’s and checked the ohms at the stator. All are correct. I removed the kill switch plug, no change. I unplugged the ignition switch and no change. Headlight is not lighting when pulling over.

Yes, plugged and unplugged and cleaned all 3 coil connections.
It’s interesting as there seems to be no anywhere.. like the master switch is off.
As I mentioned the CDI box ran my 98 without a problem.
Wondering if I need to pull cover over the stator and see if there’s internal rust.

Your stator may have failed

Verifying if your three stator phazes (ohms) are in spec.

Last edited:
Yes, I did check the OHMS on the stator. The numbers were slightly lower than specified however it was cold when I tested it and I was led to believe that the test should be done at like 68 deg. That’s not going to happen in my shop! Lol!
I also just found in the tech section the out put #’s for the pulse and charge coils. The only thing I’m un clear on is where to test that? Is it from the same wires that I checked OHMS? Or at another point.

The 97 700's stators were not so good as Yamaha updated them and also the flywheel to the same as the 98 spec.
Not saying this is your problem but usually when these have no spark it is the stator.

Ok, as update and end to this... I ended up replacing the stator and the fly wheel. The machine is back together and is running awesome again. There was some surface rust on the inside of the flywheel, not sure if this was the culprit or not . Wasn’t going to chance using it or the old stator after the force required to get it off.
Now if it would just quit snowing long enuf for me to go ride...

Ok, as update and end to this... I ended up replacing the stator and the fly wheel. The machine is back together and is running awesome again. There was some surface rust on the inside of the flywheel, not sure if this was the culprit or not . Wasn’t going to chance using it or the old stator after the force required to get it off.
Now if it would just quit snowing long enuf for me to go ride...
Aftermarket stator or? I'm in same dilemma.

Back