'89 XLV 540 Suspension/Steering/Ski/Track Upgrades?

Stuckie

Hi all, any recommendations for updates or conversions for suspension or ski upgrades?
No OEM parts are available and I've taken the shocks to local auto parts stores and they aren't interested in doing much detective work.
I like the sled but need to get a bit of travel back in the ft/rr end...
Also, the track is getting beat. Without knowing much about tracks, is there a generic measurement/type of track that is interchangeable with these old machines?
Last, for the skis... runners aren't available, anyone use round bar and weld studs to bolt up or change out with a different setup?
Runs and drives great but needs some updates.
Thanks for any ideas.

Attachments

• robster.jpg
    robster.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1

Find a nice SRV with a bad engine and swap all your stuff into it. E-start and all. Easiest, cheapest way to go.

did you try royaldistributing for parts?

you might have to do some detective work in the yamaha parts fiche to see what else took the same shocks. i know enticer 340 shorty and the trapper models take the same shock after i crawled through the fiche for the part #'s. i now know that phazer II skid shocks fit a vk540, vk540II and enticer II sled once you make your own shock bushings.

The track is a 121.

As far as skid, there’s no way around pulling it out and rebuilding it. The stock skid is actually pretty good.

The ski shocks don’t really do anything except keep the skis from flapping.

Back