1989 Phazer Clutch

roudyroy1

Alright so I've got a bit of an issue with my friends 1988 Phazer. Last year it was having trouble shifting and the clutch was sticking and stalling the machine. I took the clutch apart and found that the bushings under the clutch rollers had fully disintegrated; will attach a photo showing the part I'm talking about(#21 P/N 90380-08132).
The obvious solution is to replace the bushing, but it is NLA. So where do I go from here? I was thinking of finding some bushing material off of McMaster-Carr and modifying it to work but there has to be a better solution.

Any ideas???

phazer clutch.PNG

Last edited:

showing they are still availible on the us and canadian site. they fit my 97 et410t/r as well. i think they are in this kit too 89X-00000-50-00 witch is all the bushings for the primary.

that is bs on dealer not being able to get them. order them online through fort 9 or another online dealer. i could belive the kit being obseleted as it has happened to me but the individual parts where still showing availible. i do know the primary springs are discontinued for that clutch as i had to go get one on ebay for betsy.

that is bs on dealer not being able to get them. order them online through fort 9 or another online dealer. i could belive the kit being obseleted as it has happened to me but the individual parts where still showing availible. i do know the primary springs are discontinued for that clutch as i had to go get one on ebay for betsy.

You are right, I can find them online. I'm not sure what's going on here. will report back

Okay Okay, found the issue with what was going on. This sled is an 1988, not an 1989! and the part number is different compared to 1989:
#21, P/N 90380-08132. so what's going on here, how are the clutches different?

probably just a different material order the newer style and you should be ok, if those bushing were that bad chances are the rollers have damage also and need to be replaced as well.

looks like they discontinued the old clutch and the 89+ one is what replaces it from what the fiche says. send him to a sled scrapper for a primary off any air cooled yamaha from 89-94/pre trailing arm phazer from what it looks like on the fitment chart.

looks like they discontinued the old clutch and the 89+ one is what replaces it from what the fiche says. send him to a sled scrapper for a primary off any air cooled yamaha from 89-94/pre trailing arm phazer from what it looks like on the fitment chart.

So i looked at the 1988 & 1989 phazer cutches and the only difference in part numbers is the roller, the bushing and the main sliding bushing for the primary sheave. other than that they are all the same. Im going to go ahead and risk is and order the current bushing and roller and see what happens. If all else is the same it must fit

I just bought new rollers from the dealer for.mine,80 bucks Canadian for 3,the bushings were back ordered but if you buy the roller it comes with bushings installed already and is only 2 or 3 bucks more

Back