03 viper power loss question

JustinMichigan

Hey guys. New here and hoping I can pick some brains.

03 viper.
Cleaned valves and put everything together. Started up and ran great for 2 trips around the yard. Shit it down and filled the fuel tank. It didn’t want to start so hit it with a squirt of fluid and it fired. Sitting warming up it backfired pretty hard. Now it runs and sounds good but does not have power to get over 20mph and will then go into limp mode. Double checked and all valves are in correctly and tight. It’s never back fired before this in the last 2 seasons. The valves were pretty bad but came clean.

Appreciate any ideas or suggestions!

Justin

It won’t. But it’s a place to start. May have sucked something up in carbs or throttle cable is too tight causing torrs (limp mode) to activate. Even if you didn’t touch either these old sleds can get finicky with that’s torrs switch.

Did you just get it out of storage and the rip around the yard was its first time running this season?

tor's is the free play nessasary in the throttle cable. sounding like you might have a bad switch or the cable is too tight.

Yeah this was the first out of the garage. Once it ran and warmed awhile it ran great. Shut it down and when started 10 mins later this is where I’m at. Going thru the carbs tomorrow. Makes sense that something got in there after sitting all summer.

Yes. Ran great and then let sit for 10 mins and when fired back up here we are. Doing carbs tomorrow as it makes sense that something could have gotten in there after the initial ride.

If it's TORS it should be rev limited to 3,000, will sound like a 4 stroke rev limiter ignition cut. If a carb clean fixes it I'd take a look at the in-tank filter and maybe change it.

Back