Please Help! Chaincase has metal filings shortly after Changing oil!

Kevinfehr88

I have a 02’ SXViper(no reverse) that I picked up early this season.(8700 miles) The chaincase lube was quite dirty and had metal filings so I figured I’d better change it. When I opened the case up, I noticed some slight scoring on the inside of the cover itself( circular score marks near bottom cog). Proceeded - Changed oil, adjusted chain tension etc. I’ve put on maybe 80 miles since oil change and noticed quite a lot of metal filings again. Should I open it up again and see if the scoring is still occurring/getting worse ?? Any and all insights would be much appreciated. Thanks !!

Depending on amount of filings a little is normal. The scoring on case is not. That bolt on bottom gear is notorious for backing out and scoring case. In extreme cases can go right through case, more so with reverse but had happen on both. May be worth a look if you didn’t double check this. I found cleaning threads of drive shaft and bolt really well and using red loctite has prevented from happening again.

Back