Starting Question

4wealn

Het guys. I have a 97 VMAX 700SX. When I start it, it will start wih only a half a pull for the whole day I use it. If it sits for a bit even a week or two, it usually takes me like 10-15 pulls to get it going. Is this normal. I have no electric start. Carbs are clean, plugs are good, gas is also good. It runs good when I get it started, but it just takes a few pulls like I mentioned above to get it going. Just wondering if this is what others have encountered.

Last edited:

Make sure you choke cable is adjusted correctly, maybe look at float height next time you have the carbs apart

Fuel pumps don't pump as good when they get older. Another option is get one those boat in line primers and put it in the line from fuel tank to fuel pump behind/beside the airbox.

Fuel pumps don't pump as good when they get older. Another option is get one those boat in line primers and put it in the line from fuel tank to fuel pump behind/beside the airbox.

Yeah pump could be losing prime too, good point.

i was going to say pump loosing prime as most likely cause or a pinhole in a line. have a 78 et340 that does the same thing if it sits for more than a few hours. my et410 does it if it sits more than a month without running. easyest way to get it to fire quickly without using quick start is to pull a plug and put gas in a cyl. this is what i have to do on the 340. the 410 (now that it has e start installed) will usually prime up if i crank it over for a min or so.

Thanks for all the input guys. I will have a look at all that stuff. I went out and picked the sled up from my mother in laws where I keep is so I can do a bit of annual maintenance on it since we are in lockdown here. It had sat for almost 2 weeks and it started up after about the 7th pull. I am going to pull the carbs and clean them again and also do some stuff on the clutch.

Thanks for all the input guys. I will have a look at all that stuff. I went out and picked the sled up from my mother in laws where I keep is so I can do a bit of annual maintenance on it since we are in lockdown here. It had sat for almost 2 weeks and it started up after about the 7th pull. I am going to pull the carbs and clean them again and also do some stuff on the clutch.

Snowmobiling is on the list of approved outdoor activities!

Back