99 Vmax Secondary End Play Concern

srx700triple3

Hello everyone, I have a 99 Vmax 500 that I just replaced the lower driveshaft bearings and upper jackshaft bearings on, I noticed during installation of the secondary clutch that the clutch end play is greater than 1-2mm(sliding the clutch back and forth on the shaft with bolt torqued to spec), the play seemed to be approximatley 1/2" back and forth, I removed the clutch cover and loosened the set screws on the upper and lower bearings and loosened/re-torqued the chaincase sprockets to spec to make sure the shafts were slid over completely, tapped the bearings towards the pto side to ensure they were slid over all the way and re-torqued the set screws, and secondary, now I have about 1/4" play on the secondary, I repeated this again and got the same result. I realize the older yamahas are all free floating secondary with an end play spec of 1-2mm, does anyone have any pointers as to what I may be doing wrong or is it possible that I need to add shims to the back on the secondary. This sled has been in the family since 2 years old and never have noticed any shims behind the secondary, also never checked end play before removing the secondary. All-Balls bearings were used for replacement bearings, I have checked the spacers on the sprockets and the upper sprocket has the larger/thicker spacer installed and the lower sprocket has the thinner spacer installed, maybe these could be backwards but on partzilla it appears I have these correct as well, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

That is how the end play is adjusted on that vintage secondary - with shims. You can order them in different thicknesses. They should be in the parts lists online although it has been quite a while since I have ordered any. I didn't really verify your chaincase spacer arrangement, but if the sprockets are aligned (chain is straight) you likely have it correct.

Washer, Plate (T=0.5) UR UN
90201-222F0-00

Washer, Plate (T=1.0) UR UN
90201-225A4-00

Hello everyone, I have a 99 Vmax 500 that I just replaced the lower driveshaft bearings and upper jackshaft bearings on, I noticed during installation of the secondary clutch that the clutch end play is greater than 1-2mm(sliding the clutch back and forth on the shaft with bolt torqued to spec), the play seemed to be approximatley 1/2" back and forth, I removed the clutch cover and loosened the set screws on the upper and lower bearings and loosened/re-torqued the chaincase sprockets to spec to make sure the shafts were slid over completely, tapped the bearings towards the pto side to ensure they were slid over all the way and re-torqued the set screws, and secondary, now I have about 1/4" play on the secondary, I repeated this again and got the same result. I realize the older yamahas are all free floating secondary with an end play spec of 1-2mm, does anyone have any pointers as to what I may be doing wrong or is it possible that I need to add shims to the back on the secondary. This sled has been in the family since 2 years old and never have noticed any shims behind the secondary, also never checked end play before removing the secondary. All-Balls bearings were used for replacement bearings, I have checked the spacers on the sprockets and the upper sprocket has the larger/thicker spacer installed and the lower sprocket has the thinner spacer installed, maybe these could be backwards but on partzilla it appears I have these correct as well, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you

Hello everyone, I have a 99 Vmax 500 that I just replaced the lower driveshaft bearings and upper jackshaft bearings on, I noticed during installation of the secondary clutch that the clutch end play is greater than 1-2mm(sliding the clutch back and forth on the shaft with bolt torqued to spec), the play seemed to be approximatley 1/2" back and forth, I removed the clutch cover and loosened the set screws on the upper and lower bearings and loosened/re-torqued the chaincase sprockets to spec to make sure the shafts were slid over completely, tapped the bearings towards the pto side to ensure they were slid over all the way and re-torqued the set screws, and secondary, now I have about 1/4" play on the secondary, I repeated this again and got the same result. I realize the older yamahas are all free floating secondary with an end play spec of 1-2mm, does anyone have any pointers as to what I may be doing wrong or is it possible that I need to add shims to the back on the secondary. This sled has been in the family since 2 years old and never have noticed any shims behind the secondary, also never checked end play before removing the secondary. All-Balls bearings were used for replacement bearings, I have checked the spacers on the sprockets and the upper sprocket has the larger/thicker spacer installed and the lower sprocket has the thinner spacer installed, maybe these could be backwards but on partzilla it appears I have these correct as well, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!
Where did you find the end play spec? I too just replaced all of the drive shaft and jackshaft bearings with all balls kits. I neglected to pay attention to the previous secondary setup before removing it. I have the aluminum collar, 3 shims, a washer and the bolt and it's giving me about 1-2mm of end play, I just do not remember noticing any end play when taking the secondary off, it's possible one of the shims was on the inside before, I don't remember .

Where did you find the end play spec? I too just replaced all of the drive shaft and jackshaft bearings with all balls kits. I neglected to pay attention to the previous secondary setup before removing it. I have the aluminum collar, 3 shims, a washer and the bolt and it's giving me about 1-2mm of end play, I just do not remember noticing any end play when taking the secondary off, it's possible one of the shims was on the inside before, I don't remember .
You need a little bit of end play(or float as it's often refered to) otherwise if there was none, when the bolt is tightened it would be trying to push the bearing on the jackshaft.
0.5-1 mm

You need a little bit of end play(or float as it's often refered to) otherwise if there was none, when the bolt is tightened it would be trying to push the bearing on the jackshaft.
0.5-1 mm
Thanks, it's exactly 1mm right now so I think it's good. Makes sense that it shouldn't need to be tight, some float allows for a bit of self alignment.

Back