Carb Primers for Yamahas

Cherrypicker

I currently own 3 SX700 models, and if let sit for an extended perior, a few days. I believe the fuel evaporates from the float bowls, as a result they require from 6-20 pulls before lighting up. I often will dribble some raw fuel down the air cleaner, and it usually results in starting within one or two pulls.
So I have been looking for a primer setup, similar to what is used on some older Skidoo models, a 250 Citation for example.
Ran across one on a site for Yamaha waverunners, been in contact with the vendor to get more details. Essentially he employs a primer with single output, then t's off the line depending on number of cylinders and has a fitting that apparently goes through an intake boot. Not sure this would work with the SX700, it may. But the Phazer and Exciter had fittings in the aluminum intake housing where either oil wat injected, or in the case of the Exciter, had a fitting I'm guessing to balance the carbs, that might work.

So am I the only one who has experienced this, and if any of you has installed a "primer system", I'd appreciate knowing about it.
Thanks

Hey, I also just inquired about this here about 2 weeks ago. Mined does the same thing. Mine is a 97 SX700. Once started it is easy to start for the day but let it sit and it gets harder as the days go by. I had let it sit for about a year and it took well over 50 pulls to get going. I can understand that one. Last time it sat for about 2 weeks and it took about 7 pulls to start. I will follow this thread for any info that comes up.

Another solution is the outboard boat style in line primer. Install it in the line between the fuel tank and fuel pump. Then just open the hood, squeeze it a few times and go.

Back