2002 VMAX 600 no top end

Aloa798

Hi, I’m pretty new to the forums but in desperate need of some info. I currently have a 2002 vmax 600 triple and I’m having issues with getting top end out of it. All the power in the world from 0-60mph but falls on its face after that, RPM’s are right there at 8000. Last year all I could get it up to was 80mph and from everyone I’ve talked to I should be getting a top end around 95-100. Compression is at 105psi at all 3 cylinders, bender racing secondary, rollers and weights are free with no flat spots, seems like the motors fighting something cause when I took it out for the first ride this season I went out for maybe 45min, started with a full tank and 45min later I was down to 1/4. But never heard the belt squeaking or anything like that so I’m stumped and I leave for the U.P in less then 2 weeks. Anyone have any ideas?

well you can try to throw a new primary spring in there as they do get weak over time. odds are it probably has not been replaced since the clutching was put into the sled.

twin should only rpm to 7800 rpm and the tripples go to 8500 rpm.

Sleds that age are starting to show issues from aging.

Things I would check beside clutch conditions:
-secondary clutch bushing for binding
-drive shaft bearing on speedo drive side
-jackshaft bearing behind secondary clutch
-slider wear
-track tension too tight or way too loose
-dragging brake
-exhaust gaskets leaking?
-chaincase bearings

95 -100 mph on GPS would be a real stretch for a stock 600 SXr or Vmax
A more realistic GPS speed expectation would be 80 - 85 mph
Remember speedometers are dream meters

Right there at 8000 is way too low for the 600 triple. For top end you need to get the revs up to 8600-8800.

Back