81 SR-V skid swap - who has done it?

Ding

Darn Tootin'
81 SR-V sled sitting here (cousin's) with worn out skid. I have a number of long travel ProAction skids sitting around in various condition. My immediate reaction is to convert one of them to short travel and mount it up. I see that the Front mount point will be inside the hood, but so be it. The reason for not simply putting the long travel skid in is that I think it would overwhelm the TSS front. I am a little worried that even the short travel Proaction will be too much for the TSS.

I've done a lot of skid swaps, but never this particular combination. Who has done it and what can you tell me about it?

Would I be better off with a lower travel skid like a Phazer or Phazer II. I have a couple of those but they are in bad shape too.

mrsled has done a bunch of this kind of swap if memory serves.

i put the phazer II skid into a leaf spring sled (plaris sprint) and it actually improved the steering as it raised the rear of the sled putting more weight on the skis. oe specs list the phazer II at 6" of real travel.

i would put the long travel proaction in as you could always put the short travel shocks on it later if you can't get the ski pressure where you like it.

i will be doing a ss440 going to 136" track with a phazer II suspension in it once all my other sleds are whipped into shape.

Thanks,

Yah I wish my Phazer skids were in better shape as I think that would be a great match. Maybe I'll PM Tom about his experience. I do remember a black sled (maybe a SR-V) he put a triple in I think that he had at Muni one year. Sled ripped and sounded good (only outdone by it's looks), but it seems like he put a Mono under it.

On the other hand if I recall correctly the long vs. short travel Proaction was just shock length, spring rates, limiter straps and control rods for differences... Is that accurate?

I have added a mono shock to an 84 Vmax but I added Vmax 4 struts and it worked fine as long as you can get the balance right. I also added a pro-action into a Vmax 4 and didn't affect the front that much but it was a pro-action from an SRX with shorter travel.

Thanks,

Yah I wish my Phazer skids were in better shape as I think that would be a great match. Maybe I'll PM Tom about his experience. I do remember a black sled (maybe a SR-V) he put a triple in I think that he had at Muni one year. Sled ripped and sounded good (only outdone by it's looks), but it seems like he put a Mono under it.

On the other hand if I recall correctly the long vs. short travel Proaction was just shock length, spring rates, limiter straps and control rods for differences... Is that accurate?

sounds correct to me from what i remeber.

I have an 01 SXR under my 89 SRV and a 121 X 1.25

I am all ears for tips. Done a number of skid swaps but never this combination. Just a beater sled for a cousin, but I got tons of parts so might as well use them.

Back