2011 polaris clutching

captnviper

Lifetime Member
First I would like to say why is there no totally polaris i cant use them other sites very well. Onto my friends proble., his primary clutch is over shifting and the weights are hanging up all the way extended. After the first tim he pulled and put in rollers and a spring then it happened again. He is new to sledding and doesn't know how to adjust backshift on his secondary either. Anybody familiar with clutches?
Edit its a 2016

Last edited:

P85's are prone to buttons failing and the weight arms contacting the towers. Very common problem so I would check out your primary - unfortunately you'll have to take the spider off, but all that requires is a big stick :-).

Took it a part and its beat up pretty good. I think the bushing are shot on the movable sheave. He replaced the buttons got bmp weights and new weight bushings and they are all shot. He didn't replace the sheave bushings. Does anybody know what spec for the gap between the spider and moveable sheave? There are three washer and they are cupped and the recess in the spider is beat up.

When I am working on a Polaris I just browse the service manuals online. I usually download it if I am doing anything significant. The reason I say this is that it varies.

This is how you adjust belt side clearance, so the spec varies depending on which belt you are running. You can put it together and measure the side clearance of a new belt. Add/subtract shims until you get what you want. They come in several thicknesses. You can make a measuring tool if it helps (piece of metal cut to the profile of the belt + side clearance.

Thanks guys. I went over and helped him out, his spider, moveable sheave, pucks, rollers, bushings for weights, the sleeve thru the weight bushing, and weights shot. He just replaced the pucks, rollers, weights, bushings and the sleeves for weights. He is not sure why it destroyed everything in 200 (guessing the washers between the spider and sheave were pinched in between and not in the pocket) so he is just gog to bite the bullet and buy a new one, IF HE CAN FIND ONE.

Saw a complete almost new P85 for $400 somewhere online just yesterday.

Back