89 Exciter Saga

MikeWalters

Well bought a used exciter a couple weeks back, didnt run great. Overall looked OK, has some nice features (new seat, arctic cat 121 skid and next to new track)

Cleaned and polished the secondary which was filthy, cleaned primary and replaced rollers (also filthy), threw out garbage off brand belt. Last week rebuilt the TSS scissor arms, that was horrid just like the first 2 sets I did years ago. No big deal. But...

Runs bad. Compression 120 (with a real shop gauge) on both cylinders. Cleaned the carbs, still runs bad. Idles OK, lots of bogging/fluttering up to 6500rpm, sometimes cleared up, ususally wont. changed plugs, emptied out the maybe old fuel with fresh premium, no change.

Looked closer, opened can of worms. exhaust y-pipe gaskets leaking, crankcase leaking in 3 spots that I could see. SO, pulled the engine, pulled the primary clutch and found crank seal leaking too, lower heat exchanger hose taped up/almost ripped through in 2 spots.

In the process of re-sealing the engine and discovered crank bearing outermost clutch side is bad (found a new one this morning)

Question is: could the crank leaking in multiple places cause some of the running troubles? I decided I did not want to try troubleshooting/tuning carbs to no end if I know the crank is leaking. And it was (IMO) leaking bad. after using brake clean, running the engine for 2minutes you could start to see seepage where the case meets. cylinder walls look ok, just slight scoring on pistons (very slight).

Had some questionable torque (loose) on 4 headbolts. Assuming someone did a top end at some point in time when they should have done the whole thing.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Put new needle jets in it, the old ones will be shot and causing it to run extremely rich. Might not be all you trouble, but certainly will help substantially.

Back