2005 overheat no start

Kahuna

hello. I'm very new to this site so I hope this works.
I have a 2005 venture 3 cylinder with approx. 3000 miles that I believe got overheated to the point where it wouldn't run anymore. not sure exactly what happened. I wasn't riding at the time. Ended up towing it home. Began to look into it. First thing I wanted to do was a compression test. removed the coils and found them damaged by the heat. Cylinder 1 and 2 came out easily but cylinder 3 came out in pieces. I replaced all coils and sparkplugs and did a compression test. Compression now is 180 psi clutch side, 180 psi center, and 120 psi on chain case side. These were taken with the throttle closed. Found out after that throttles should be open for a more accurate test. I have cleaned the carbs twice and refilled the bowls after each cleaning. still won't fire. Checked the spark. Strong spark on all three. Thought if I put gas in the carb intake I might get a response. All it does is cough, fart, and backfire. I get the same response when I give it a sniff of starting fluid. :o|
I would dearly love some professional advice before I start pouring money into a mechanic that is no smarter than me (local yamaha dealer) or start spending a lot of wasted time (and money) tearing it down trying to identify and fix a problem when I don't know what I'm looking for.
Pls if somebody has some solid advice on what to look for let me know.
Like I said, I'm new to this site but I'll try to watch for a response. I would prefer a personal e-mail though to G.Pankratz@hotmail.com.
I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE.
Regards, Kahuna

Compression should be @ 120-130ish.

All the spec info I've seen on this site has said that comp should be 220 - 230 when new and at least 180 on used. I would expect 120 - 130 if it was a 2 stroke. the 120 has me puzzled because it should be high enough to run but it seems to be too high for a blown head gasket, valves or rings. is it possible that the overheat put the ignition timing out enough to prevent firing? if so, where would i look to diagnose it and correct it?

what model exactly of venture? there where 2 availible at that time from yamaha canada. an sx venture 600 tripple 2 stroke and the rs venture 4 stroke tripple. need to know witch model you have to give you correct advice.

Back