Thumb warmer troubleshooting

SRXChris

Bare with me as I am not experienced with electrical troubleshooting testing etc. Stator quit on me 2 weeks ago, replaced it with used spare i had and all was fine. Noticed today my thumb warmer went cold. Tying to find how to troubleshoot it and in manual it tells to check continuity on thumb warmer. I can check and get continuity on hand warmers and they work fine and there is continuity.

According to manual unplug thumb warmer and connect leads to it and test for cont. THumb warmer has 2 wires running from it a black and a white sheathed one. I put leads of tester on them and get nothing. Is it bad or am I testing wrong? I don't see how there would be continuity there if they are separate?

It has 2 wires going to thumb warmer from wire harness a green and black one. When I start sled how much voltage should be at plug? AC or DC?

Other then the thumb warmer it all seems good, no flickering lights, hand warmers work, tach dosn't drop off anymore after switching hi'lo beam.

Any help walking me through this process would be appreciated. MY son will use the meter as I'm a dummy and he is in first year of elctrical schooling and has surpassed my crappy knowledge of troubleshooting and hopefully figure this out.

You should get some kind of reading when ohm testing it. Either OL (overload, no continuity), or a small number (continuity, means it is good). If you're not getting anything then I don't think you were getting good contact.

You should get some kind of reading when ohm testing it. Either OL (overload, no continuity), or a small number (continuity, means it is good). If you're not getting anything then I don't think you were getting good contact.

Thanks. Get home tonight and hopefully work on it or just ride this weekend

If you haven't sorted the bad component out yet,here's the page from the '01-'02 service manual for the specs on the grips and thumb warmer.I believe the specs are pretty much the same across all the years.Just make sure to test the components individually.Screenshot (24).jpg

Back