1979 Enticer 340 backfires

Weez1

Hello everyone! looking for some advice...

My son was riding his 1979 ET340 yeterday when it suddenly quit on him. He left it until I arrived a few minutes later. When I started it, it would barely idle and as soon as a little throttle was given it backfired (seemed to be through the exhaust) and it died.

Here's what we've checked so far:

- Compression is 100 PSI each cylinder. We checked the compression a few weeks ago out of curiosity and noticed it was at 100 PSI. Figured we'd wait and do a piston/ring job in the off season. Maybe this was a bad idea and we should have done it right away. I figured 100 PSI would be enough to continue on the rest of this winter. Unil yesterday the machine ran great and no starting issues.
- Spark plugs appear dark brown, maybe even blackish (not grey).
- Was thinking maybe crank seals, so started again in the garage and while running we sprayed WD40 on the clutch side crank seal (oil pump is removed we're running pre-mix), no apparent change in RPM at idle.
- We noticed the outlet of his muffler (out the bottom) was dented pretty good and was almost closed right up. Was likely from a stump or something he must have hit. We swapped mufflers with another ET340 I own, no change.

Any advice for next steps or possible issues would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks!!

Kinda funny but I just found the problem and thought I'd share in case anyone else ever has similar symptoms on their machine.

Ignition coil ground wire was heavily rusted and only attached by a few strands. I guess under load or vibration the wire giggled around and gave a weak spark or none at all. Cleaned wire, and all mating faces, new connection and good as new!!

good that you found it. last time i had one backfire like that (30 years ago) it blew the piston on the stand when i did the monthly run on it.

Back