88/89 exciters bogging

Frogoker

New guy here, my dad and I each got exciters, his is the 88 and I have the 89, both deluxe with electric start. We're having problems with both having low power. I can get them up to 45 if I'm on packed snow and 35 cutting my own path, and he can barely get them to move when he jumps on one. We've gone through all the carbs and both have had all the wheel bearings replaced. The 88 ran 100mph with the back end up in the air but would only do that at half throttle. Full throttle and the engine slowly starts bogging down. I took apart the clutches on the 89 and found they are very dirty and the secondary was set on c4. What do the clutch settings mean? I think we have a fueling issue with the sleds going through half a tank in 12 miles but I feel like the clutches aren't right either. The belt sits 1/4 inch below the sheaves on the secondary, is that right? We're planning on all new fuel lines and fuel pumps already and this summer we're replacing the crank seals

make sure you are doing the fuel filters in the tank while you are at it. if you can get the primary spring still i would replace it as they are likely sacked out (weak). clean the clutches really well so that everything slides freely without the springs in them. do not use brake cleaner as some of them leave a residue that causes the belt to slip. dish soap and water are your freind.

Are you positive that the main jets are clean? Are all the jets in the right place? If jetting is correct, the next place I would look is clutches. Check for worn weights and rollers in primary. Check for worn bushings in secondary and buttons.
Also, you should replace the needle jets in the carbs with new ones.

Back