96 Vmax4 Comet primary w/Polaris secondary?

Olivia317

VIP Member
I recently purchased a 96 Vmax4 with 16XX miles. The sled is all set up for lake racing, Aaen quad pipes, Gforce reeds, lowered , lubers, a Comet primary, and a Polaris secondary. I want to switch the secondary back to Yamaha so I can use my any of my Yamaha helix. What am I looking for, are they all the same? I'm told the Primary is Vmax4 only, would like to change that back to factory also. Where can I find these? Any help is appreciated.

The Primary can be swapped to a Yamaha clutch doesn't have to be for the vmax 4 but you will have to modify the bolts for the stator housing because they will rub on the clutch, the non moveable sheave is machined on the back side for clearance on a stock vmax 4 clutch. Secondary should be vmax for ease I know srx secondary's can be made to work but I believe the splines need to be machined back.

I recently purchased a 96 Vmax4 with 16XX miles. The sled is all set up for lake racing, Aaen quad pipes, Gforce reeds, lowered , lubers, a Comet primary, and a Polaris secondary. I want to switch the secondary back to Yamaha so I can use my any of my Yamaha helix. What am I looking for, are they all the same? I'm told the Primary is Vmax4 only, would like to change that back to factory also. Where can I find these? Any help is appreciated.

If its got a Polaris secondary on it they must have modified or changed the jackshaft to a 1" keyed shaft. Prior to the modern Yamaha secondary that first showed up on the 1995 Vmax 4 it was common to change the shaft to mount an Arctic Cat reverse helix secondary clutch or less common a Polaris secondary.
If the shaft has been changed you would have to find a stock jackshaft off of a 1995-1997 Vmax 4.

Back