Triple Redheads

Johnny20

What’s the main attractions to the Triple Redheads in the sledding world? I’ve got a 98 Venture 700 Triple in very good condition mechanically and appearance, and get a lot of riders (typically the over 45 crowd) that come look it over and all of them ask “is it a Redhead”? They love the sound and I’ve even been asked if they can rev the throttle haha! With all the new sleds out nowadays, there seems to be a lot of appeal for those sleds and I was wondering what it is about them, I’m not a mechanic. It’s almost cult like. Does it add value to the sled or is it primarily nostalgic appeal? I put new skis and track on it to improve its response but still have the factory skis that I kept in case I ever did sell it and the new owners wanted original stuff and they all tell me to to absolutely keep them.
Thanks, just wondering about the attraction.

Arguably the most reliable 2-stroke sled motor Yamaha ever made. For pure sound the SRX (power valves and triple pipes) sounds better, or a piped Viper. But all of the Yamaha triples have an excellent sound IMO.

I have the 99 Venture 700 triple. It's that ripping triple sound and the reliability that they are known for not to mention the impressive gas mileage. I also regulatly run a 91 Phazer ST and it is amazing how people will skip past all the new sleds just to see it and ask questions about how well it performs as well.

Ya, I get a lot of guys looking at it too and tell me way more about them than I know. It’s interesting to hear them talk about their triples. One thing that is common with snowmobilers is they will freely share helpful information with each other and it’s pretty cool to hear how different riders trick out their sleds past and present.

Thanks for your responses!

Yup those were unique in the day(Had a chance to buy a 98 700sx new in 97 but choose an indy 500,el cheapo).Would or could yamaha bring back a triple two-stroke?Maybe but the market share would be small(Even supplying motors to Cat won,t make it profitable:ORC).Triples went out of favour to twins(Lighter,narrow body,more playful,cheaper to build).Yamaha was the last to offer a triple smoker(2005 Venture700?)but Yamaha was well into the four-stroke phase.........:sled1:

Bought my 1999 600 triple Venture 2-Up sled many years ago because of its selling price (and it was a local buy). The rest of its positives followed afterwards.

Would I buy same again? Maybe... But, I do wish it had much better factory suspension. My older age body needs more depth / smother suspension... Ouch!

On a positive note: Its 22 years old and its never left me broken down. And, no power valves to clean every year. Simply use high quality injection oil, check its sliders & carbides (replace when needed) and drive like one wants to keep it forever. And, it treats me with respect in return.... smiles...

Last edited:
I currently have 3 redheads, really as good a bang for the buck as the PHazer IIs were. I still believe one of the best groomed trail sleds out there.
My 97, pitched a stud and cut a hole in the heat exchanger in front of the drive. By the time the temp light came on, most of the coolant had drained. I opened the hood to find the "red head", has turned to chocolate brown. Pulled her down, everything looked good, but the head was warped, milled it at a local automotive shop. Reinstalled it, it runs everybit as good as the other two. These all have over 10,000 miles and they haven't been easy ones either. Only real issue I've ever had is the cold starting, unless I want to pull them 20X, I just dribble some gas down the airbox, and 2-3 pulls they light. After that 1 pull is usually all it takes, even if it sits for a few hours.

Cherrypicker
Where do you set your idle? Warm, mine creeps up around 1800-2000rpm. When I start it cold, 1200-1400 rpm. It originally would start up warm or cold and idle around 21 or 2200 RPMs but I thought that was a little too fast so I turned it down but in reality, I think I liked it up there, it took a lot less time to warm up and you weren’t very far away from the clutch grabbing when you throttled it.

Back