98 600 Twin runs like a bag of crap

MikeWalters

98 600 Twin

bottom end resealed, new pistons and 1 cylinder replaced (all done by previous owner)

Starts awesome, idles great

cannot get over 6800 rpm, flutters like crazy. brand new plugs zero difference. the exhaust can is not clamped properly and its leaking (ill fix and try it again).

Had a loose carb boot, no change after tightening. Drained tank and put in fresh premium. Carbs in/out/cleaned a few times by previous owner

Have a listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COCQTASJbyo

Any ideas guys? I am at a loss where to start looking. The clutches need cleaning, 1 primary roller doesn't roll as nice as the other 2 but I can't see the clutch causing flutter like this. Thanks for any help!

We still have snow here in central canada, but only for a few more days.

whats the compression in the cylinder that wasnt rebuilt? sounds like previous owner didnt do something right at all... or like he said maybe reeds arent sealed that good? could be numerous things unfortunatly. did he just do a piston and rings and the cylinder is messed up? did it overheat and thats why he well half rebuilt it.. and maybe a head is warped or something? honestly I would send it down the road and get another one. or keep it for parts

Found it. Reeds no good/not seating on right cylinder. Also had a extra chunk of gasket on that side, so the reed cage was sucking air in. Scoring on that piston.

I have no luck in life ��

Reviving my old thread. Put Boyesen reeds in the sled, it still ran bad. Flutter over 5000rpm, can't get anywhere near 8k.

replaced primary rollers, cleaned out sheaves, etc. Still run bad. Swapped CDI with a good running unit, still run bad. Ready to burn the thing and say goodbye.

Then we notice, the air filter looks different than the other 600 we are swapping parts with.... It had some kind of home made low density foam air filter, kinda folded up in where the stock one was.

Pulled that thing out and bam. Fixed. Screams and pulls hard, hits 7900-8000rpm and holds it there.

A FREAKING AIR FILTER.

Always gotta check the little stuff hahahaha

Back