Painting a hood

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I had the hood of my '01 SRX painted last summer and the colour I picked out at my local auto supply place wasn't a direct mix to the Yamaha paint but it seemed as close as I could pick from paint strips.But after it was done it clearly is not the same shade and I have been wanting to reshoot the hood with the proper PPG paint,but the guy that did it said he would not do another one because it was so problematic trying to keep dust off the hood and out of the paint.What is so difficult about painting a PP hood? Is it the static in the air that just attracts dust and dirt to it?Is it just a matter of putting a ground strap on it before spraying to mitigate the dust attraction?I'm no painter but have a bud that does some and he's taught me a little so I know the best way to get the desired results is to use a downdraft booth if possible and wet the floor to keep debris from coming up off the floor but professional paint shops are few and far between around here.I know people spray paint parts all the time without using booths and still get great results so what's the best way to get a smooth,shiney paint job on a hood?

Three hoods painted & turned out really great. No paint booth just a garage cleaned well plastic on the walls let it set for a day move the hood in wet the floor & go. I think you just got a raw deal from the dude that did the hood. I used all PPG products no miss matched products all hoods were base clear no dust dirt or problems hopefully you have better luck round 2.

Attachments

• received_429443927745604.jpg
    received_429443927745604.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 15

Back