95 Vmax 600 Water leak?

ARMILITE

Got a 1995 Yamaha Vmax 600 Twin, pull start! I noticed a few months ago I had some seepy around one of the Head Bolts. It started and ran ok just warming it up to run some Gas/Oil through it. Went out the other day and went to start it and it pulled over hard and Coolant leaked out around the Head Gasket on one Cylinder. I had a Base Gasket go on it over a year an a half ago and had a Shop replace it, Bill said both Head & Base Gaskets replaced. They went out of business, so I'm doing it myself this time. I pulled the Head and Pistons look Good, they both were replaced about 12 years ago. I didn't see any Sealant, just the Head Gasket. I didn't see very much Coolant in the Cylinder just droplets. Wiped the Cylinder and Piston Dry and Sprayed some G96 on the Cylinder.

1. Do I just need to replace the Head Gasket and do you use any Sealant around the Studs?

2. Is there a Drain Plug for the Lower Case to get any Coolant out? I did have the wife pull it over slowly and poured some Gas/Oil into the Ports.

Also, as far as I know, it's never been Over Heated since I've had it these last 12+ Years. But I'm going to check the Head for Warpage before I put it back together.

Last edited:

When doing a top end without removing the engine, after disassembly, I pour some solvent into the cases, slowly rotate the crank assembly, then syphon the solvent back out with a piece of fuel line hose and repeat until cases are clean and free of anti freeze. Before assembly I use an oil can to lubricate bearings with two stroke oil.
OEM Yamaha base gaskets and head gaskets are metal and are to be assembled dry...don't use sealant.
Following the proper torque sequence and numbers from the shop manual is mandatory.

There is no coolant in the bottom half of the crankcase. There is coolant in the top half of the crankcase and yes, there are 2 drain bolts at the front of that case.

Back