any experience on the cat hex shaft clutches??

03viperguy

I have a 76 merc 440 trail twister with the arctic cat hex clutch. It is gettign worn where it slidesover the hex shaft. there seems to be a bushing type thing that looks replaceable, is it? I will try and get pics next time I am near the sled (4 hours away :( ) thanks for any tips, and I need all th einfo I can get for rebuilding this thing too. any thoughts on the comet 108exp clutch?? worthy upgrade?? thanks for ANY advice :)

Scrap the hex clutch. To many moving parts, And basically just junk. I run a comet 102c on both my 340 tt and 440tt. Really woke sleds up. Very easy to tune, Can't remember off the top of my head, but I think I'm running A-1 weights with a silver spring in my 440tt, both from comet. Runs really strong.

wow, sounds like you are the guy I should be talking to! I am having trouble getting it to run like it ought to..... was running great, then ran out of gas (I had a TINY bit in it and let it idle too long) now I got it started back up again and all, but no matter how long I let it warm up it wont move!!! I rev it and it just bogs :( I have the carbs set at factory specs and am wondering if leaking engine is the culprit. seems to be weeping oil from under the primary clutch side exhaust port. any ideas???? thanks!

Just a few quick things to check, Sounds silly but first make sure you dont have a fouled out plug, May be the cause for the oil dripping down exhaust cylinder. Second, your floats in your carbs may be stuck down from running out of gas, causing motor to flood out, tap on the side of the carbs with the handle of a screwdriver, they may free up, or you might have to take apart carbs and check. Third make sure one of your choke plungers are not stuck in the open position, also causing flooding, seen this happen more than once. Also check your drive belt and belt diflection, a very worn belt will make the thing start out like it's in 3rd gear. While your looking in that area, make sure your primary spring on your hex clutch is'nt broke, both will cause major bog. One last thing make sure you got spark. hope this helps.
Mark

all very helpfull info! I have two more questions real quick. it has champions in it now, what are the ngk plugs I should be using? and what belt# should I use, brand etc and what is the right deflection? I have a shop manual but the only thing it doesnt cover is the clutch on that thing :( thanks again!

NGK plug you want to use is BR9ES, Correct belt is a MAX-2000 by dayco. may have to put shims under the front of your motor mounts if belt is to tight. Did you get it running yet? Do you know anyone who might have a hood for a 79 srx? I'm in the process of building a racer, and the hood that I have is cracked up.
Thanks,
Mark

thanks again for all the info! no, havent gotten it running yet, it is about 4 hours away from me right now :( up at the cabin in northern NH, I am in central NH. I saw someone selling a few SRX's and parts on ebay I think, and it was cheap. a great place to look is on the NH snowmobile museum website, there are a LOT of vintage guys there with tons of parts. out up a wanted post and the chances are pretty good you will get something. this is a link for them
http://interactives.alxnet.com/cgi-.../Guestbook/Guestbook.render?guestbook_id=2481
hope this helps! post up some pics of your sleds! theyy all sound sweet!

Back