srx reeds in an sx motor how to

BETHEVIPER

Life Member
The question is asked often "Do srx reeds fit in a sx motor?"

The answer is simple, NO they don't. :o|

They can however be made to fit

The other question that is asked is "Are they better?"

The answer to this one is I don't know.

Srx reed cages are different in these ways.

1 they are wider
2 they are more open inside
3 they have more reed area
4 they have the stoppers mounted lower on the cage assembly. when the reed notch mod is done on srx reeds in an sx the stoppers are even more out of the way of the rear transfer port

The problems that make these a non direct fit item are:

1 the carb flanges dont line up to the reed stuffers
2 the reeds dont fit in the sx case

The cure for these problems are as follows:

1 Using a small drum sander remove material from the inside of the carb flange so that there is a smooth transition from the carb to the reed stuffer. Start first by setting stuffer on the boot and tracing the opening onto it.

2 Using a drum sander remove about 1/16in from the side of the case opening where the reed tip bottom out on the case. This can be done in the sled assembled. Use clean rags and carb cleaner to wipe everything in your case clean so that tape will stick. Use strips of aluminum duct tape(used for heat shielding) to cover the inside of the case. Fit the tape as tight as you can to everything even the crank. Even run the tape over the area where you are doing the grinding. Once you have covered the inside tight and complete make a template. Place the reed on its side on a piece of cardboard and trace profile of the reed. Cut it out and place it against the side of the case where the reed would go. Trace the template and cut with a rasor knife a little bigger than the line. Use hard grease on any places where the tape is not secure to catch any filings. Also while doing this have a friend hold a vacuum cleaner close by to keep the mess down. Now you know where to grind and have no worry of getting metal in your motor. Grind away and keep triying to install your reed cage as you go. There is alot of metal in this spot so dont worry about grinding through.

Attachments

• 400 1.jpg
    400 1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 400 2.jpg
    400 2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 400 3.jpg
    400 3.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 400 4.jpg
    400 4.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 400 5.jpg
    400 5.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

These pictures show the size differences of the cages. The larger being the srx/viper style.

Notice how the same reed stopper is mounted lower on the cage on the srx/viper style.

If you look at top view you can see the amount of material that needs to be removed from the case.

Look to the back on the inside picture and you can see the difference in the cage design. The srx style has smaller dividers between the reeds.

Attachments

• 4006.jpg
    4006.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 400 7.jpg
    400 7.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
The scoopage & thanks again guys

Well i already sent someone a check for his SRX reed assemblies with 1100 miles on them. I really do not want to go to that much trouble to get them in my SX motor so i am just going to buy new reed pedals and a stopper for my SX reed assemblies.

I did not say anything to the guy I bought the SRX reeds from because its my fault for not getting all the info first. I sent the check hoping he would send the parts at the same time. Its not worth trying to get him to take them back as its only 65 bucks and reputation is important on this board and anywhere else as far as I am concerned so I will just try to sell them at a later date rather than break the deal that I made to begin with. I always send parts before getting a check and I do not expect anyone to send me anything untill they get my money.............. I might get burt someday but i will at least be credible the whole time.

Sorry about the confusion in the other post, I was just trying to be perfecly clear because I was led to beleive that the modification coud be done to the reed asseblies or the case.

That is what is so great about this place you will surley get dialed in, if not, its your own fault, because all the info is here.

Tod

guys i finally posted the pictures for this, they are not very good though.

if someone with a dyno has some time would be great to know just what the true difference is.

I know alot about sleds but I didn't know this. Eric, just pick a topic, start typing and keep these teaching moments coming. Thanks

I just did this mod to our sx, added phazer boots, a boost bottle and 35.5mm carbs. All I can say is I sure had to go up in my jetting!!!!! 4 sizes up and I was still very lean... Hoping to get a bit more time on this set up this weekend..

jabber800 said:
I just did this mod to our sx, added phazer boots, a boost bottle and 35.5mm carbs. All I can say is I sure had to go up in my jetting!!!!! 4 sizes up and I was still very lean... Hoping to get a bit more time on this set up this weekend..
I have never found a boost bottle to make a sled lean, also, the porting or use of viper reeds should not cause a lean spot. I think what you are getting is a reduction in suction by using bored carbs, this is very common. Hopefully the guy that bored them did so offset and left the floors stock, only taking the material from the upper part. If not, it can really mess up your pilot and idle circuit and sometimes have to use different slides to compensate for it.

jamie said:
Why not use an SRX carb adapter to go with the SRX reeds instead of modifying the 8CH carb adapter?

It really doesn't matter because neither one will truly mate up to the stuffer without grinding.

jamie said:
Why not use an SRX carb adapter to go with the SRX reeds instead of modifying the 8CH carb adapter?

the carbs boots are way differnt angles for carb mounting between the sx and srx/viper, they wont interchange so you need to sand out the sx boots to go with the bigger reed blocks.

like every body says stay with the air box and i run holtzman temp compensator mounted inside the air box u never have to rejet ur sled u jet it for -30 and when it warms up it ajusts to air temp out side. run ur triple pipes power inc down pipes or a slp 3 into i can work very well allso. mine makes 17 miles to the gallon . beats up on a lot of older 800s

You could always send your stuff to mrviper700 and he can do the work for you and make them jugz flow better to accept the more air. Remember You have to be able to get all that air out. I sent my stuff to him last Friday can't wait to get It going again.

Back