Phazer Engine mods

Hey phazer95, whats with the "Intake cut is more aggressive" What does this mean?, on the Wiseco piston?

The wiseco pistons intake cut is wider and taller than the stock piston and is very similar to the original SX piston cut that was used for Yamaha's formula 56 oval race sled. This is the main mod done on the intake side and changes the intake port timing of the motor. If you are intrested in doing this mod to your stock pistons you can go to the Dynotech Research web site and get the exact specs from the modified phazer pipe shootout #9. This is a pay site so you will have to buy a subscription to get this info. :2strokes:

Phazer Mod

Actually – if you go to the “articles page” at Dyno Tech and click on “Free Sample”, top of the page - you will be delighted with the specs on modifying the old Phazer to 80HP. :WayCool:

Hey guys

Not too sure how many people are still left on this site. But I cant find the place where it has this info.

Also, im still lookin into doing these mods to a different motor.

Awsome!

Thank you.

BTW, anyone know any performance shops with good credibility that might be able to port, and releive squish on the heads to .90, bore it over to a 499, and make the SX style cut? (If its not a modern phazer motor)

:bump:

Bring this one back to the top!

Do the SX cut pistons work on the new "500" motor? I feel compitent enough to do it myself if they do?

Anyone got a pipe for sale for the non pogo phazers?

I was wondering this the other day, what about taking 2 98-02 SRX Pipes and custom fitting them under a 99-01 Phazer hood. Is there any aftermarket companys out there that makes twin pipes for the phazer or are the just singles???? Cause I thought the Phazer with twin SRX pipes be a sweet conversation peice and something to brag about. What are your guys thoughts on that.

Odly enough though....

Following the link to the Dyno reports for the phazer pipe shootouts, the psi twins didn't fare so well. They barely nudged out the psi single pipe and both of them were beat by the aaens...

clutch said:
Odly enough though....

Following the link to the Dyno reports for the phazer pipe shootouts, the psi twins didn't fare so well. They barely nudged out the psi single pipe and both of them were beat by the aaens...

Yes, the aaen quiet can was the big power maker in the shootout. I am not sure if it is still available from aaen still but may be found used on ebay. I have not seen many. The DG pipe is quite common though and also makes decent power. I run one and have been very happy with it!

Seeing that you're in Ontario, you might want to give Iantomassi track'n'trail a call. They are in Bowmanville... can't remember the phone # but i think a few people on here will know it... Maybe junior??

Yesterday I went to the local dealership and ordered a Wiseco top end kit. I was much more than the factory replacement top end (2000 Phazer Mountain Lite).

I came home and tore down the top end of the sled.

Much to my suprise, the OEM pistons ALREADY have the SX cut done to them!

I check the squish gap with some solder after I had pulled one of the heads off. The MAG side cylinder showed ~.05. Pretty tight, and the heads have almost NO room to be milled. The head gasket is a two layer metal that is .015 thick, you may be able to run it with a single layer.

I'm guessing this is were Yamaha came up with the little extra power in the "500" series of these motors. Tightened the head and changed the piston design.

BTW... The Wiseco's are only offered in 1mm and 1.5mm oversize. The OEM start at .025 over and then go up so you don't have to hog out the jug on your first rebuild.

That takes care of any "cheap" power adders from days gone by. It basically leaves, reeds and pipe for more power.

ExpertXViper said:
I was wondering this the other day, what about taking 2 98-02 SRX Pipes and custom fitting them under a 99-01 Phazer hood. Is there any aftermarket companys out there that makes twin pipes for the phazer or are the just singles???? Cause I thought the Phazer with twin SRX pipes be a sweet conversation peice and something to brag about. What are your guys thoughts on that.

The only way to tell if it would work would be to dyno test it. The pipes are matched to each individual motor and the wrong pipes may not work well at all. The SRX pipes may even cause the Phazer to lose power.

Even the pipes for the old Phazer - if they could be fit in the newer chassis- may not be a good match because of the changes to the motor.

Difference between Yamaha OEM pistons... ?

Stock Phazer "TSS" engines make about 55~58 Hp.
Stock Phazer-500 "Pro-Action" engines make about ~63 Hp.
I have got E-mail from Wiseco regarding the Phazer 485 FC engine stating that they did an update on their piston design in 2001
and that the piston will work for all Phazer's through the years.
And they said they didnt know if the piston was the same shape as the OEM one was.
The Wiseco pistons intake cut is wider and taller than the stock piston and is very similar to the original SX piston cut that was used for Yamaha's formula 56 oval race sled.
This is the main mod done on the intake side and changes the intake port timing of the motor.
I have tore down the top end of the sled ( Phazer Mountain Lite "Pro-Action"/Phazer-500 "Pro-Action" )
Much to my suprise, the Yamaha OEM pistons ALREADY have the SX cut done to them!
I check the squish gap with some solder after I had pulled one of the heads off.
The MAG side cylinder showed 0.05" Pretty tight, and the heads have almost NO room to be milled.
The head gasket is a two layer metal that is 0.015" thick.
I'm guessing this is were Yamaha came up with the little extra power in the "500" series of these motors.
Tightened the head and changed the piston design.
:confused: Can anyone confirm or deny that there is a difference in the design of Yamaha OEM pistons between Phazer-480 "TSS" and Phazer-500 "Pro-Action" ? :confused:

I know that they later Phazer piston is over $20 less than the earlier ones so there must be a difference
Yamaha OEM Piston part #

* ( 1984-2002 ) "TSS" sleds ---> 8V0-11631-00-96
* ( 1999-2008 ) "Pro-Action" sleds ---> 8DJ-11631-00-A0

Last edited:

Back